• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Competition vs carry sights

Cali_Ed

Hello guys,

My question is, is having a thinner front sight post more advantageous for target shooting instead of a thicker carry front sight. The reason I ask is I'm going to be doing idpa.

Another reason I bring this up is the other day at the range at 25 yards or how ever far the back stop of my pistol range was, shooting at a 8inch shoot and see I was able to land 4 shots of 12. Focusing on my front sight post(hd night sights) Everything else goT blurry and the sight post completely covered the target. So aiming was a little harder. Would I gain anything from a thinner front sight or just practice?

Edited by Cali_Ed

I prefer sights with a carry profile as close to black as possible.  One reason I prefer the Heine Straight-8 night sights...smaller dots, narrower post up front.

IMO, in close start practicing with point shooting.  Sykes and Fairbairn school point shooting...not the new fangled "buy my book" gimmick shite, with your trigger finger along the frame, middle finger pulling the trigger.

S&F were true scientists and practitioners of the practices derived from their studies.  Check them out.

Practice train practice train I see a much better sight picture with a medium width square flat top black front sight in daylight and the bright round dot nights sight. I doubt that a more thin blade will help. Remember your eye can only focus on one point at a time. I focus on the front sight let your eye look through the rear sight aquire the target and sit it on top of the front post. Speed of aquireing the sight picture will increase with practice even dry fire helps me. I hope this makes sense.

I do a lot of point shooting practice shooting. Using a lazer training pistol of the same configuration as I shoot it is a good training tool for me. I am an old 50 foot bullseye shooter and hunter pistol metallic silhouette shooter, so I am not much help to you.

Edited by mrmackc

I just can't get past the use of your middle finger to pull the trigger.  

Maybe a in-between sight set , not so much one way or the other .

I really beginning to like the Fire sight types . I use a Fire Sight front sight on my Hunting Ruger BlackHawk , man is it nice to draw up on something with that glow sight out in front . 

On my USPSA guns I use a .100 to .110 width front sight with a .125 rear sight notch, it's a lot quicker to pick up than the standard .125 front/.125 rear. I have used the fiber optic front sights but ended up going back to black on black. I have absolutely no use for three dot sights or white outline rear/colored ramp front sights.