• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Boy is Stag Arms stupid as hell

They machined 3000 lowers without serializing them, and their reason was extra stupid

Stag Arms apparently admitted keeping un-serialized lowers on hand in case a serialized lower was damaged. They apparently did so, so that they could then simply destroy the damaged lowers (without having to do additional paperwork) and put that serial number of the lower receiver on one of the un-serialized receivers.

http://bearingarms.com/stag-arms-raided-atf-stupidity-criminal-enterprise/

Doing it...good thinking.

Getting caught/talking about it...not so good.

Funny I was just thinking about this the other day when I saw someone selling an M16 lower for some astronomical price. I was thinking how it would suck to damage or wear out a $15k lower, and thought it might be a good idea, although illegal, to build an identical 80% lower and use it and lock the original away in a deep dark hole.

Edited by blue109

Seriously though, how many do they screw up that they keep 3000 unserialized around?

If you want to have spares around you could run machining to 80%ers and leave them like that. The final machining doesn't take much longer than the engraving of a serial, and at least that's legal :)

I'll cut them some slack on the initial no serials find by the ATF, but really after the ATF tells you this is wrong and you need to fix it not fixing it is hard to give them a pass on. The ATF surprisingly is pretty flexible, and doesn't want to press charges against a company unless stuff happens repeatedly or as a pattern. Had they spent the week serializing + logging all that stuff, I'd bet money the ATF wouldn't have done anything except keep an eye out for it in future audits. Shadow Ops had a handful of issues with an ATF audit, and they were very flexible in terms of letting us get things fixed + documented correctly first before pushing it as charges

• 3 weeks later...