• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A new guy building his first "LR 308"

1loco

The best bang for the buck is buying a good trigger, and shitcanning the stock trigger.  Really.

The trigger isn't the place to get cheap, or fuk something up trying to work on it at home.  It really isn't.

My $0.02.

I did noticed that many people have chosen the ALG trigger with the JP spring set. This sounds like a solid combination that is bomb proof. At least as close to mil spec as possible. All made in the USA and less than 6 lbs. for well under $100. To me reliability is number one. Although I am open to recommendations.

I did noticed that many people have chosen the ALG trigger with the JP spring set. This sounds like a solid combination that is bomb proof. At least as close to mil spec as possible. All made in the USA and less than 6 lbs. for well under $100. To me reliability is number one. Although I am open to recommendations.

If going for a lighter trigger I'd only swap the trigger spring. You want a full power hammer spring.

So the new girl is together everything checks out. The only issue I have is that the bolt goes forward when I drop the magazine. Could the magazine (magpul) be catching the bolt stop and pulling it downward as it falls? The magazine does drop free. I can lock the bolt back manually and it locks on the empty mag. Any information would be helpful.

OK so the magazine follower pushes up on the bolt catch so after the last round is fired the bolt is caught. Maybe, the bolt catch is not been pushed up ward enough so when the magazine is dropped the catch gives away? I did ordered new springs and plungers in case that's where the problem is.

Maybe, the bolt catch is not been pushed up ward enough so when the magazine is dropped the catch gives away?

Could be that - you can inspect for that, and see if it's the problem.  Shoot 'til last round hold-open (1 round in the mag makes this a short exercise). Check how far up the bolt face the catch is holding.  Snatch a pic of that and post it. <thumbsup>