• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A new guy building his first "LR 308"

1loco

So I don't know why but I sold my AK (can't believe what people are paying for those things these days) and decided to build a 308 DPMS pattern rifle.  I'm looking to get a shooter that does not weight a ton and that is reasonably accurate. Sort of a battle rifle. Oh and pend less money than buying something similar.  So I started with a Shotgun News and Ebay. I found a DPMS upper in CDNN sports with dust cover, forward assist and 30mm scope rings for $110 including shipping. On the bay I found a chrome-molly 18" (US made) for mid gas system for $185.  The bolt group is an Reign Supreme Manufacturing, phosphate finished. An adjustable .750 gas block and three prong flash hider from Seekins Precision.  I did get a generic "Slim LR 308 low profile hand guard.

I'm not sure about the correct length of the gas tube so I did nor ordered that. Also I'm nor sure about the hand guard because I want iron sights. But I'm hoping to get your help. Please feel free to comment. I only have one feeling and it has nothing to do with guns. Do remember that unlike a lot of the builds I see here I'm not looking for a sniper type, but more like a HK 91 or FAL kind of idea.

Ok. Bring it on.

On the bay I found a chrome-molly 18" (US made) for mid gas system for $185.

I'm not sure about the correct length of the gas tube so I did nor ordered that.

Midlength gas tube.  Might be Armalite midlength, though.  You'll have to get the barrel in-hand first, and measure it.  Or, buy both midlength gas tubes.  One will work, for sure.

EDIT - Or, contact the ebay seller, and ask him what to use - looks like he built the barrel.

Edited by 98Z5V

I will contact him. He did said that the barrel is a DPMS pattern.

You may need a bit more detail. Occasionally they'll say "DPMS pattern" because it has an LR308 barrel extension, but the gas port location can be AR-10 pattern. We've seen a couple barrels here like this...

Yup, he said mid length. Funny how people assume everybody is on the same page of music. So, I was looking around the forum and You tube and noted that DPMS made uppers with 2 different heights on the rail. What I did not hear or read was that there is a solution to address the discrepancy between the front and rear sights. Also I did not (or missed) the amount of the discrepancy. I mean can a thin shim under the front rail take care of it?

So, I was looking around the forum and You tube and noted that DPMS made uppers with 2 different heights on the rail. What I did not hear or read was that there is a solution to address the discrepancy between the front and rear sights. Also I did not (or missed) the amount of the discrepancy. I mean can a thin shim under the front rail take care of it?

We've got a pinned topic on how to determine the upper rail height.  They dropped the height a few years ago.  Rail ahd handguard companies make fore ends for both heights.  No all companies make both, but there are enough out there that you won't be having a hard time finding what you need.  Don't shim the front sight.

Its like if I drove you to a LGS and parked in front of a BBQ restaurant and told you to wait in the car, gaurateed you would have BBQ sauce on your face,when I got back to the car !!! LOL

Now THAT ^^^  is fuckin FUNNY!!!   <lmao> <laughs>

Ordered the DMS ATACS lower. Now I have to consider a lower kit. Here is a question: How good can a "regular" trigger be? With a little work can they be in the 4 lbs. range? The trigger packages look to be in the $150 to $300.  Any opinions on where is the best bang for the buck?