• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fighting rifle

Herk

Hi all,

The kind of .308 AR that I see myself building/buying is a battle rifle (i.e.: something made for fighting).  A lot of folks here seem to like bench-rest shooting and build their rifles accordingly.  Nothing wrong with that, but that's not the type of rifle I want. 

I'm looking for something that will do what my FAL will do: reliable in harsh environments, durable, supportable (parts, mags, gunsmithing, etc), lightweight, well-balanced, ergonomic, MOA (minute of a**hole) accuracy... like I said, a battle rifle.

Some features that I'd like:

- ability to use PMags

- 18-20" light-weight and/or fluted chrome-lined barrel, threaded for flash suppressor

- reliable single-stage trigger

- collapsible stock (I'm thinking a Magpul UBR or Vltor EMod)

- ambi controls (esp. safety)

Ruggedness, mechanical reliability, and the ability to function with milsurp ammo is essential.  The ability to shoot tiny groups is not.  Again, I'm not knocking the bench-rest/target rifles but that's just not what I want.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance for your help!

-Herk

herk, i just recently ordered  pws mk 214 for my battle rifle, it may not have everything your looking for but so far customer service has been great, and their rep told me he uses his out of the box rifle for three gun with only an aftermarket  trigger and optics. they are light and you can purchase some ambi controls after. he also said i'd be surprised by it's accuracy, hope it helps.

Some features that I'd like:

- ability to use PMags - pick a DPMS-based platform for your lower receiver

- 18-20" light-weight and/or fluted chrome-lined barrel, threaded for flash suppressor - check out what Fulton Armory has to offer in their barrels

- reliable single-stage trigger - Spike's Tactical Battle Trigger assembly

- collapsible stock (I'm thinking a Magpul UBR or Vltor EMod)

- ambi controls (esp. safety) - don't use any but the Battle Arms Development selectors.  Nothing else even comes close to comparing to their product.  At all.

My $0.02, up there in the red.  <thumbsup>

Thanks guys!  It's starting to look like a good .308 AR is going to take some money to put together.  It could be a while before I get all of the right stuff together.

Here's another way I'm starting to look at this: is there any make of AR for about $1200 or less that I could get into and then build up easily into what I want?  The DPMS and Bushmaster offerings look like good candidates but I don't know how they'd hold up to the stresses of carbine classes like those offered by Suarez International or Tactical Response.  Can anyone comment here?

98Z5V:

Thanks for all of your suggestions!  I didn't know that Fulton Armory did AR10 stuff!  Very cool and just what I'm looking for.  It looks like it will cost more than I'd anticipated but at least I know that what I'm looking for is out there.

I curious as to what you anticipated this would cost..  you can build for less than a 1000.00  you can buy already built for that also.    you stated in previous post 1200.00  that can be done easy.    remember you want your battle rifle to be able  take punishment also,  in battle you may have to introduce someone to the but-stock so choose something that will take abuse,

make sure your barrel is strong enough to take the abuse also.  that way when you have to fix bayonets you wont be bending a light weight barrel. or worry about warping during a short firefight

Eeeeehhh...  I'm not sure how much of a .308 semi-auto rifle you build for a grand, or even $1200.  It won't be much, and it definitely won't be tough. 

On another note, I don't think you need a barrel strong enough to fix a bayonet to - if you get to that point, you should be on your backup.  If your backup is down, and you're looking for something to fix a bayonet to, you're in very, very deep poop.  Call 911, call for immediate extraction, or hit your E&R Plan...  <dontknow>

If you're not in a Combat Zone, and you're thinking of going to fixed bayonets - your plan was bad.

If you're IN a Combat Zone, use the weapons you're authorized to use.  You'll have friends nearby that are in the same shitstorm that you're in.  My $0.02...

98Z5V:

Thanks for all of your suggestions!  I didn't know that Fulton Armory did AR10 stuff!

They don't.  However, they do make compatible parts for DPMS-based, LR308-based semi auto .308s.  There's a big difference between AR10 and non-Armalite .308 semis.

They're a great company to work with, and their stuff is top notch.  You can't fail using their parts.  <thumbsup>

you can build for less than a 1000.00  you can buy already built for that also.    you stated in previous post 1200.00  that can be done easy.   

Show me these two, right here.  The $1k one, then the $1.2k one. 

• 2 weeks later...

DPMS308Done.jpg

Nelson Tactical had the DPMS LR-308 with A3 top for $996 back in November.. I had then swap the collapsible for A2 stock.. they did it for FREE prior too shipping..

Only thing I added was the Hogue PG and the EOTech 552 (which was $150.. as it was used).. ok.. I may have hoodwinked the seller abit.. by helping him sell it..    <lmao>  added the MBUS rear and MI Front Flip.. total is under $1500..    <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...

herk, i was wondering how your search is going, weather is getting nicer you know

Sorry I haven't replied until now, I haven't gotten on here much lately...

I've actually been putting all my spare cash into ammo and tuition for training; in my neck of the woods a lot of great training opportunities have cropped up and I'd rather invest in them right now than another rifle (although, I would still like the rifle...  ::) )

If nothing else I'll put up some class reviews/AARs in the training section here.  Hopefully you alls won't mind if it's mostly 5.56 & 9mm instead of .308, right?  ;)

Sorry I haven't replied until now, I haven't gotten on here much lately...

I've actually been putting all my spare cash into ammo and tuition for training; in my neck of the woods a lot of great training opportunities have cropped up and I'd rather invest in them right now than another rifle (although, I would still like the rifle...  ::) )

If nothing else I'll put up some class reviews/AARs in the training section here.  Hopefully you alls won't mind if it's mostly 5.56 & 9mm instead of .308, right?  ;)

It's all good man