• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how to build an accurate AR

Jgun

It makes good sense until I got to the part about gluing or lock tite-ing the barrel . I can see no way that there would be play in the barrel extension with the barrel nut torqued to proper spec's.

If he is talking about the fit of the barrel extension in the upper receiver , hows that going to matter when its the flange of the barrel extension that is truly mated & tightened to the upper receiver ?

A good fit of the barrel extension to the upper receiver is where its at & the last barrels I've installed had that ,so I don't see a problem there .

I had to gently tap the last ones in place in the upper receiver ,but they have all been match barrels & that includes the Willson 300BLK barrel I just installed .

Even if you glue or loc tite it ,you have to torque it down afterwards & that will change its set point or using any thing as a filler it will heat up & change the setting , if any, with time or shot count.

Now there may be a glue or loc tite that's impervious to heat ,but you may need to throw away the upper when a barrel change is needed  & that may be what the competitive shooters do.

I really don't know about that .

He does have some good points in there though.

Now there may be a glue or loc tite that's impervious to heat ,but you may need to throw away the upper when a barrel change is needed  & that may be what the competitive shooters do.

I really don't know about that .

He does have some good points in there though.

I agree with you that it's probably unneeded, but in the event you had to swap barrels, you can push the barrel back out of the receiver with a press.

Edited for spelling.

I like my barrel to fit snugly into the upper with little or no play. I'm suprised how much the ID of the different uppers I've measured have varied. I guess if your equipped to build barrels and install barrel extensions, possibly you could turn down an oversize barrel extension to match your upper's ID but since I am not set up for that, if I find that I have a barrel that's loose in the upper, I use stainless steel shim stock wraped around the barrel extension to make a snug fit that goes in with light pressure. Interestingly, on all of the barrels I've measured the barrel extensions were the same OD plus or minus .001" while I've found that the different uppers I've measured have varied up to .006" It may not matter that much but I like the idea that my barrel extension is (hopefully) concentric with the bolt carrier bore in the upper.

some of this read is good .  but I think something has been left out.you can do everything that this article recommended and have a  8lb trigger that is rough to pull and everything else is a waist.

In My world a good trigger stands as the #1 improvement that can be done. but I shoot for fun not for a living