• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

feeding issues and bolt issue

Let me say first off that I'm having issues with my gun feeding reloads that I produced. I'm using a 147 grain bullet which seems to feed some rounds but wont feed others. Heres where it gets confusing. when I use factory ammo I have no problems and the weapon feeds fine. But, when I use my reloads, I have feeding issues. Actually what the problem is is that the bolt wont come completely forward and when I try to manually eject the round it gets stuck in the chamber. the weird part about this is is that I put the gun down to play with something else and a couple hours later, I tried the gun again and  I had no problem feeding the reloaded ammo for a full magazine. Here's the kicker, the second magazine I tried to run through encountered the same problem in the beginning. I know its not the magazine cuz its a magpul 20 round mag and its brand new. I'm thinking it has something to do with the chamber swelling but ive never heard such a thing. any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated cuz I don't wanna have to keep buying factory ammo.  

I've had no issues using Hornady FL die reloading for my AR-10. I do run the case into it twice, not because I've had a problem with one pass but because I'm anal.............

There are tolerances for chambers and dies alike, the right combination of a tight chamber and a loose FL die may not work, I was lucky and my combination works fine while not working the brass quite as much as a SB die.

What dies are you using? Consistency in your procedure is a must as well.

I've never heard of a chamber "swelling" enough to make that kind of difference <dontknow> If you were having issues after firing a mag or so I'd guess a build up of case lube but the opposite just doesn't sound like a chamber issue but a case size issue.

Do you check the reloads with a case gauge?

Check your rounds and see if you have the tiniest bit of a swell in the shoulder after you have seated your bullet. When you find it, Unscrew the stem a quarter turn, and it will go away. AR chambers don't swell. But seating a round with too much crimp, either taper or regular will slightly bulge the shoulders which will keep the cartridge from seating properly. 

Gas guns are funny beasts. what will pass in a bolt action, will hang up in a gas gun. Crimping too much will definitely swell the shoulder of the case enough that it will keep it from chambering properly. You won't see it with a micrometer but a case gauge might catch it. I use a case gauge but also use the tried and true method of chambering every round after I reload them. Unless you are seating long, shouldn't be a problem checking them that way. DO NOT try to beat them bolt in using the forward assist  as that may cause more problems. If the round get stuck and will not extract, take it to a gunsmith who will use a wooden dowell rod to drive the case out with the bullet. This will drive the bullet into the case, compressing the powder and can result in another problem, which is why a gunsmith who is experienced can take care of it. Don't try yourself to use a dowell rod unless you are an experienced gunsmith and are willing to see the rod and bullet come out the barrel at about 2500fps. Makes an interesting hole in the roof of a workshop and a more interesting negligent discharge wound if you are in the way. 

I've used the forward asist and it doesn't work half the time. I don't ever use a dowel peg in the barrel, instead I use a plastic mallet and slap the charging handle till it breaks loose. No overkill, just light taps till its free. Like I said earlier, it loves factory ammo which is leaning me more towards the fact that my gun is very picky about what ammo I use. So I guess all my reloads are now to be used in my M-14. I'm gonna pick up a case gauge and see if I can narrow down the issue. If not, it wasn't meant to be. Thanks to everyone for their helpful advise

I've used the forward asist and it doesn't work half the time. I don't ever use a dowel peg in the barrel, instead I use a plastic mallet and slap the charging handle till it breaks loose. No overkill, just light taps till its free. Like I said earlier, it loves factory ammo which is leaning me more towards the fact that my gun is very picky about what ammo I use. So I guess all my reloads are now to be used in my M-14. I'm gonna pick up a case gauge and see if I can narrow down the issue. If not, it wasn't meant to be. Thanks to everyone for their helpful advise

I had issues with adjusting the crimp till I got a Lee factory crimp die, it uses a different collet system that doesn't shove the mouth down. My previous reloading experience had all been with neck sizing and no crimp for bolt guns. I had problems setting the crimp on the the hornady die, just like Ripper stated I was bulging the shoulder. The Lee is much more forgiving, this along with using a case gauge and I haven't had an issue since. I use a dummy round to check my setting but never check all my live rounds in the weapon, just the gauge.

It probably isn't much. The slightest imperfection might cause problems. Might. Exactly what rifle do you have? Is it a factory build or a parts build? If you suspect the chamber get a reamer and lightly, and I mean very lightly, turn it just a couple of turns in the chamber. That should clear up any slight burrs or imperfections that might be in the chamber. You are not reaming the chamber, just lightly polishing it. Also make sure it is properly greased, especially the bolt lugs.

Rifle functions with factory ammo & not your reloads , more than likely its a problem with you reloading process .

To adj. your Sizing Die , with shell holder in Press ram ( if single type press ) run the ram all the way to the top of its stroke , screw Sizer die into Press until base of Die touches Shell holder ( doesn't matter what type Press is used ) then screw die in about a 1/16 of a turn more into Press , you want a small amount of cam over when press is at full stroke . This will set your shoulder set back or a good start to it , there are a couple ways of doing this , but this has worked for me on every Press or brand of Die I have used .You can see if the empty sized case seats into your chamber & the Bolt locks into Battery , once you have the shoulder set back set , just make sure the OAL of the loaded round is no more than 2.800" .

As far as crimping , to bulge the shoulder on a 308 cartridge , you would have to use Godzilla pressure to do it , something that is never used in reloading , well unless your sizing with out case lube .

Now a 5.56/.223 , its easy to bulge the shoulder with over Crimping . If you have the SB RCBS Die set , it should have a Taper crimp in the Bullet Seating die , crimp as a separate procedure , run the seating die with a sized case ( no Bullet ) at top of ram stroke , screw die down until you feel the the die start to touch the case rim as if was going to crimp it & back it back Off a little & lock it down . set your seating depth with a charged case with Bullet & seat all your reloads , then back the seating stem back out so it can no longer come close to touching the Bullet & screw down the Sizing die with a fully loaded round at the top of the Ram stroke ,till the crimping portion of the die slightly crimps the case , all you need is a light feel to a taper crimp , just enough to uniform the case around the Bullet , its all about a light crimp , case neck tension , if correct , retains the Bullet in the case.

Edited by survivalshop

For the 308 and the 5.56 AR's you have to use small base dies, not the full length ones. The full length ones work fine for bolt guns, but the self loaders need the small base dies.

This is definitely not true.  I only use FL die sets for 5.56 and .308 Win, and don't have any issues running my ammo through any 5.56 or .308AR that I have.  No issues running that same ammo through any 5.56 and .308 Win bolt guns that I have, either.

Check your rounds and see if you have the tiniest bit of a swell in the shoulder after you have seated your bullet. When you find it, Unscrew the stem a quarter turn, and it will go away. AR chambers don't swell. But seating a round with too much crimp, either taper or regular will slightly bulge the shoulders which will keep the cartridge from seating properly. 

^^^  That's it, right there.  I learned that mistake when I first started making my own 300BLK brass.  Not much shoulder on those little bastards, and if you add too much crimp, you swell it, and it doesn't chamber.  Well, not the first time - You have to repeatedly beat it into submission, and it'll chamber.   :bat:

^^^  That's it, right there.  I learned that mistake when I first started making my own 300BLK brass.  Not much shoulder on those little bastards, and if you add too much crimp, you swell it, and it doesn't chamber.  Well, not the first time - You have to repeatedly beat it into submission, and it'll chamber.   :bat:

Would that be what we would call FFF? Field Force Forming? :bat: