• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A word to the wise about the palmetto state armory PA-10

CASEYPM

I just finished my first black rifle build. I chose the PSA PA-10 for the awesome price. I completed it for only $750. I bought the upper, lower, LPK from PSA, $94 barrel from Anderson and bcg from radical firearms. Got the mid-length gas tube from a local black rifle shop and had a slight problem. The gas tube was exactly 5/16" too short and short cycling is common for their rifle due to this because the tube is too short they sell and tell customers to buy. Fortunately I discovered it before I was finished and bought an armalite AR-10 carbine length tube that is 12--1/16" which is 5/16" longer. Apparently they cannot tell customers to buy this one because of copyright reasons from armalite. Now that's customer service... So hopefully you're reading this first before you buy the wrong tube. Here's some pics of both. 

IMAG1080.jpg

IMAG1097.jpg

• 1 month later...

CaseyPM

Just starting my first 308 build and I bought the complete PSA lower assembly off their scratch and dent sale and it appears absolutely perfect to me as far as finish and all the bits and pieces properly installed in the lower.  (At least from my AR15 builder eyes...)  Included what appears to be the correct short 308 buffer and a stiff buffer spring so I "think" I'm good to go there.  I have one of their blemished 308 uppers in the mail now.

So now to decide on a BCG and barrel - from your experience can I use any DPMS patterned BCG and barrel?  I'm leaning towards the Faxon 18 inch barrels. 

And to answer the PRIMARY question - truck gun for heavier game (i.e. elk) and I hunt in mountains and I'm so want to keep the weight down as well.

And thank you in advance.

KC

I agree , a 16" rifle will be less weight ( depending on the Barrel of course ) & is quicker to bring up or swing .You will not lose much down range , my 16" is very close to my 20 " @ 200 yards  ( far as I have range to shoot ) Trigger makes a big difference , where the MechArmor Trigger in the 16"is an great single stage trigger , the Geissele SSA , two stage ,I have in the 20" is much more suited for the target range , as is the rifle itself , Heavy , not something I would think would be a good brush gun ?.

What stock system are you going to use ?  Short Buffer sounds like a Carbine Buffer .Measure the length of the Buffer & spring , count the coils on the spring & weigh the Buffer 

One other question - DPMS 308 mid-length gas tubes are 11.75 inches?  And the PSA tube is shorter than that?

No idea what PSA is using , the AR 10 gas tube worked with that barrel configuration shown above , not sure how Tolerance stacking of the PSA Receivers will compare to DPMS components  or the Faxon Barrel . You will not know for sure ,till you mock the system up, unfortunately .

I have Full length gas systems on all three of my 308AR's , all barrels are Criterion , 16",18" & 20", I have yet to do testing at 200 yards with the 18" & will compare all three with the same ammo( s ) after the Holidays .

Edited by survivalshop

• 4 weeks later...