• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Good Deal On 7.62x39 Brass

TenRingKing

That caliber is more difficult to find many places simply because most people use the steel cased stuff. When I come across 7.62x39 brass I always pick it up even though I don't reload for it yet.

This is obviously what I am going to have to start doing.

• 2 weeks later...

How cheap can brass be reloaded for?

That's kind of a trick question Robo. The truth is that it really depends on the cartridge you're loading & if you buy components in bulk. For example: sometimes I find 9mm on sale for as cheap as I can make it. On the other hand my 300WSM cartridges cost almost $3 each commercially but can be made for around $.59 each if I do not count the cost of brass which has been reused.

Forgot to add that I do not cast my own lead bullets which would further reduce the cost at the end but that's a whole other process I'm just not willing to invest in at this time.

If your willing to buy in bulk and watch for sales the cost savings is IMMENSE!!! 

P.S. I do not factor in my time as a calculation for the cost of production. It's just another hobby to me, one which doesn't exactly save me money so much as allow me to shoot more often. 

I haven't started reloading anything yet but that time is coming.  It appears that reloadable 7.62x39 brass is slowly getting more popular and this getting cheaper than it used to be, if it was available.  True, the steel cases are cheaper ammo but back in the time of madness in 2012 ALL the 7.62x39 disappeared off the shelves here and was gone for a while.  That's quite an accomplishment for the 4th. largest city in the nation.  I've been buying both steel and brass but when I accumulate enough brass cases I don't see why I shouldn't reload 7.62x39 too when I start reloading everything else.  Who knows ... maybe this caliber is little more accurate our of an AR platform weapon than an AK?

One thing I just noticed from reading the comments on the brass offered in Amazon is the seller warns that some of the brass may be "dented" in the middle and this is typical from cartridges being fired from an AK47.  I don't know if using dented casings is a good idea for this caliber in an AR platform (?).

Seems I had enough trouble with feeding until I found the right mags finally.

• 10 months later...