• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dirty Harry

survivalshop

I may have just slowed down my lower build for my 300BLK .

I am getting a Smith & Wesson 29-3, 6 " .44 mag.,in blue , of course.

I found one ,well my bro who works at a shop got one in on a trade & called me first & I told him I wanted it , so now just waiting for a total with shipping  & lining it all up.

Been looking for an older mod. N frame for a while . Seems every one wants an arm & a leg & your first born for one .

The price was more than right !

The sickness is not just in AR's . I think I need a bigger safe !

The sickness is not just in AR's . I think I need a bigger safe !

I concur - it's just an affliction, addiction, malfunction, and quest for perfection...  <dontknow> <lmao>  Once it's one you, you can't get it off...  Shotguns are another weakness of mine...  :o

I've changed my philisophy on the "bigger safe" thing, though - I somehow warped into "additional safe," because I can't seem to get rid of the old ones.  In some way, they're like a great pair of shoes, and you just can't throw them out for a new pair. 

Stack 'em or Line 'em up!  <lmao> <thumbsup>

I know how you feel I really have a fondness for those model 29's. I bought the one pictured, a while ago, used even though it wasn't in the best condition, because I really like the 5" barrel and unfluted cylinder. I'd like to have it refinished but I'm not sure who I can trust to do the job well enogh to satisfy me. Can any of you guys recommend someone good?

post-164-136297265928_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to give S&W a call. I'm guessing they won't give me a price without looking at it, so I'll probably wait until I have the cash allocated for it before sending it to them, but I'd really love it if they could refinish it as good as new. Then I'd have to go for a nice set of exotic grips.

Look on their website, I'm pretty sure they have a price on restoration. I sent a 27 back a couple years ago, needed a new trigger. Had a new hammer and trigger, new front sight, new back sight, bunch of internal parts, drilled and tapped for a scope, barrel set back and forcing cone recut, and refinished. Cost a grand total of $246. They are pretty reasonable and do good work. By the way, I just picked up a 25-5 in 45 Colt, 6" barrel, cherry condition, $500. I've been looking for one for about 30 years.

SWshooter, I checked the website and spoke to someone at S&W. As you say, they tell me that they will refinish it for $250 and do any other work I require for additional cost. I think I'm going to send it to them as soon as I get the 300 upper together. I also have a NOS case colored target hammer I'd like them to install. You say that you were satisfied with the quality of the reblue, yes?  By the way, good price on that model 25. I have wanted one of those in .45ACP for years but some other gun related purchase always seems to take priority. I bet it's a lot of fun in .45 colt.

I shot it with some loads I use in my old Rossi 92 carbine, 9.0 grs Unique with a 250 gr lead RNFP. That is a pretty potent load in a handgun I found out. I've been experimenting with the H&G 68 190 gr SWC for a target load, used it for bullseye last wed. It has a pretty good DA which is all I shoot with a 'smith. I haven't found a powder I like yet, Unique is too dirty in light loads, and Trailboss has a real obnoxious odor shooting indoors. I'm going to try 231 next.

Survivalshop: I told my wife a couple years ago that I needed to buy another safe and she said " How'd you break the old one?" Try 10 grs of Unique and a 240 gr lead SWC in your 29, a great practice load and very accurate in any gun I've shot it in. For a real stomper try the 265 gr Hornady jacketed flat nose over all the H-110 your loading manual calls for. I use that load in my Ruger carbine and my 4" 629 for deer hunting. I've killed 7 deer with it and never recovered a bullet.

SWshooter

Have you tried Bluedot ? I still have some of the Hercules branded stuff ,the new blue dot is loaded different .

I use it in my Dan Wesson 44 mag. & have taken far too many deer with it to count .

And I too have not recovered a bullet ,even when shooting 200 gr. JHP's.

I'm using 18 grs.of 2400 & 240 gr. XTP in the Anaconda now , but too new of handgun to get a shot yet at a deer .

Seems when I have a shot ,its at a buck & I have already filled my buck tag with the slug gun ( last deer shot with slug gun was @ 150-160 yrds.).

I may have to start the hunt with a hand gun and be done with it . I also plan on taking dirty Harry out for a walk this year , maybe make it a hand gun only season like I used to .

I used to hand cast a 240 gr. Keith type bullet ,but got out of lead shooting . Still have all the stuff & plenty of lead ,but just don't shoot them out of my .44's no more .

I do cast some .45 's up for ACP & RN for my buddy's cowboy gun .

I've used Bluedot for years. It is about halfway between Unique and 2400. Great powder for light bullets in auto pistol loads. I use a lot of it in 10mm with 180 gr XTP. It's about the best powder for hot 10mm loads. I just bought a double cavity mold for 170 gr SWC 10mm bullet. I have alot of lead and the time to cast now. Have access to lead from the back stop of the indoor range I use. Will see how that works out. For some reason they don't seem to recommmend Bluedot for pistol loads anymore.