• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 buffer

JnyQst

I'm building a DPMS patterned .308. I've read that the DPMS buffer for the 308 is too light, weighing in at about 3.4oz & that will increase the wear on the bolt. I'm looking at getting a buffer that weighs about 5-5.5 oz along with a buffer tube with an inner length of 7 3/4".

On another forum I saw someone mention a buffer by P.O.F. I checked it out & it comes with the 7 3/4" anti tilt tube, buffer, & spring. They don't list the weight of the buffer. I've emailed them but still haven't heard back. Does anyone happen to know the weight by chance?

I've also looked at heavybuffers.com. Just can't bring myself to drop $100 for just a buffer on a rifle that isn't near operational. I just want to get it going.

Greatly appreciate any help & advice.

JQ

I assume you plan on a Carbine stock set up , by the weight of the Buffer you are referring to. I use the STD DPMS 308 Buffer & Spring in my Carbine stocked rifle with out any issues . What Buffing system or components you use may be determined by the Gas system length you will have on your Barrel . I have rifle length systems on all my 308AR's ( 16",18" & 20" bbl.'s ) & use std DPMS 308 Buffers & Springs in all of them with out issues .

A Carbine Gas System may require a heavier Buffer &or stiffer Buffer Spring . You can also use the Complete AR 10 ( Armalite ) Buffer system , which would be their Receiver Extension , Spring & Buffer . The AR 10 Buffer Spring is a little stiffer & longer then the DPMS , but they use a longer Receiver Extension & an AR 15 type ,H Buffer .

One thing you should also consider is sometimes , depending on the Components used in a build , that a heavy Buffer or spring or miss matched components ,can cause issues .

Thanks for your help. I should have provided more details. I'm a newbie. Yes, I'm planning on a carbine stock. The upper I'm looking at has a 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system. I would also like a heavier buffer to reduce perceived recoil. I do want to make sure whatever parts I get will work harmoniously together.

Let me see if I'm starting to understand some of this. The shorter the gas system the heavier buffer you may need?

Now how do you decide between a 7" or 7 3/4" inner tube depth? Or is that determined by the brand of the buffer system?

I greatly appreciate any info anyone can offer up.

JQ

The 7"( std AR 15 )  is mostly used with the DPMS type Buffer systems , the longer ones can be confusing in some ways , Armalite uses a longer Receiver Extension ,longer Spring & longer Buffer( AR 15 length ) Their are others out there ,that use their own Proprietary components also .

Some Receiver Extensions are not made the same , some are made a little longer or shorter & have been known to cause issues with 308AR's .

Yes , stick with a DPMS LR type system or a AR 10 Armalite systems & if everything is to spec's , there should be no issues . The AR 10 is longer , not sure its 7 3/4 , but it is longer . You also should also be aware , that not all Lower Receiver Manufacturers make there Lower's to the same spec's as , say a DPMS or AR 10 & are made to the particular manufacturers spec's & certain Buffer systems may work better then others . We have seen here that some Manufacturers say they are DPMS types , but will not function correctly with a DPMS type Buffer system , might work better with an AR 10 system or vice versa . some 308 AR's manufacturers are not one the same page as the ones being copied .

Some swear by the HeavyBuffers to cure their particular issues & they work fine , he sure makes a good looking Buffer , I have never used one or needed one , I have used DPMS components & have had no issues , of course two of my Lowers are DPMS made. As far as recoil , they say the HB helps & also if a Suppressor is used . 

The Gas system length has a lot to do with felt recoil as does weight of the rifle & in some ways , the Stock's configuration . These rifles can be turned , by using a regulated Gas system, Buffer weight & Spring for felt recoil , but could also cause function issues , also , with different ammo types , when doing so.

Edited by survivalshop

The tube depth and buffer need to be matched. The longer 308 carrier needs to move a specific distance. Too far and it smacks the back of the lower. Too short and it won't cycle. DPMS uses a standard AR15 extension with a shorter buffer to account for the longer carrier. Heavybuffers is the best option to add weight, or add your own tungsten to your buffer. Armalite uses a longer extension with a standard AR15 carbine buffer to accomplish the same amount of movement.  Those are the standards. The other brands and systems might work fine or might have you chasing bugs to get your gun running. 

Edit: ss said all that about a second before me lol. I'll add that a muzzle device will have WAY more affect of the perceived recoil than adding weight to the buffer.

Edited by blue109

One thing some folks forget is that the semi-automatic AR needs to have a good solid sholder, or stiff arm and hand behind rhe rifle when it fires in order to properly recycle.  The BCG won't function if the rifle recoil is allowed for the entire rifle to move back in recoil....JMHO

One thing some folks forget is that the semi-automatic AR needs to have a good solid sholder, or stiff arm and hand behind rhe rifle when it fires in order to properly recycle.  The BCG won't function 100% correctly if the rifle recoil is allowed for the entire rifle to move back in recoil....JMHO

Well maybe not so much with a gas operating system as in the long barrel recoil  system of a old Browning semi-automatic or Franchi shotgun......which I was thinking about.

Edited by mrmackc