• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 ORC extraction issues

olyinaz

This particular model is an Armalite 10ACBF AR 10. He has it for $1,409.95. It is a flat top model with a small rail on top of the gas block. I agree with you that Armalite makes one of the better .308 AR's on the market, and as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. 

• 2 months later...

I had a few extraction failures yesterday.  I want to say about 4 in 300 rounds.    That is way too many imho.  Anyway, I kept it lubed and was hoping it would get better with a few more boxes of ammo, but I can see this is not likely the case.  I was using cheap steel case ammo, the same ammunition that my partners DPMS .308 midlength fires with zero failures.  I'm going to follow the advice on this thread and see where it takes me.  I've already invested enough in this rifle, so I'd rather get it firing reliably.  I won't be in a hurry to buy another BM if this is what its going to take to get it to function like it should.  With that said, I will keep an eye on this thread because I'm headed overseas soon, so it may be awhile before I can address the problem.  Thanks in Advance for the information.

L2M

I read an article last week when I was looking for some thing else & it caught my eye . It was about steel cased ammo & the coating on the case , I think it was a cleaning article or some thing, but it said that when the barrel is warm (or hot ) from firing & you pause for any length of time with a steel case round in the chamber , that the coating some times glues the case into the chamber & can cause that & next fired round to have problems extracting .

Some thing to think about & if you have been using the steel cased stuff , make sure the rifles chamber is clean . I was told that Kroil will break the residue free from the barrel innards.

Brother survival as much as I would like to shoot steel don't want any problems,RRA doesn't recomend it some RR owners do but coeating on steel gets gooy with heat [so I am told].Thats why I don't see the difference with Hornadys steel vs./ Russian aside from maybe power factor or Q.C. U.S.A. vs./ U.S.S.R.. <dontknow>

I read an article last week when I was looking for some thing else & it caught my eye . It was about steel cased ammo & the coating on the case , I think it was a cleaning article or some thing, but it said that when the barrel is warm (or hot ) from firing & you pause for any length of time with a steel case round in the chamber , that the coating some times glues the case into the chamber & can cause that & next fired round to have problems extracting .

Some thing to think about & if you have been using the steel cased stuff , make sure the rifles chamber is clean . I was told that Kroil will break the residue free from the barrel innards.

Okay, FWIW, I have tested the Wolf/WPA teflon(copolymer) coated ammunition to try and see where this falls in reality or fantasy.

A few things: The old brass cased Wolf ammo had a lacquer coating on it. THAT stuff did cause mass headaches. I picked up a S&W M&P15 sport, and took it on a road trip to TX from  Ca. Hunted and plinked 'yotes and hogs for 6 days. Tried a lot of different ammo. Federal Fusion was really nice for hunting. No issues with any ammo, read on....

The Wolf test:Once I left Ca and got into America, I stopped by Cabelas and used some discounts I had saved and got some full size mags and different ammo. Went directly to a ranch with a local friend, and started tossing the ammo downrange. The Wolf gave good accuracy (not MOA, but carbine acceptable. Freestanding, it matched M855 ball ammo) and happily, no feed issues or FTE issues. The HOT TEST: Ran 4 full mags at WFO. The plastic foregrip was getting stinky, it was hot to touch. Barrel was smokin' hot. Put in mag#5, and chambered a round. Pointed the rifle in a safe direction, and walked away for 20 minutes to eat lunch. The ammo did not cook off. Came back, took the safety off, and pulled the trigger. BANG. Fired, and ejected the round properly. Checked out the case; the teflon was not distorted or maimed. The rest of the mag went thru the rifle with zero issues. 4,000 rounds later, I am happy with it. A couple hard primers failed to fire off, but that is the only issue.

On to the Bushy 308: Same story. I picked mine up mid Dec. and the first chance to shoot it was last week. <dontknow> Anyhoo, ran 100 rounds 308 winchester thru it. Seems to work okay with the brass. Switched to Wolf 7.62 and followed the same test as I did with the 15 Sport. The Wolf fed, ejected, and did not cook off when chambered really hot. The coating is extremely durable from what I have seen. One thing noticed, the cases show some drag on the side from the ejector pulling hard to throw the case before it leaves the rifle completely. But it is not an issue.

My only issue was with of all things; my Magpul mags loaded to full 20 did not want to 100% reliably chamber the 1st round, with either type of ammo. It would pick the round up properly, and send it to battery 95% but the bolt did not lock 100% of the time. Upon cleaning, the rifle seemed a bit dry. It's now well lubed, and we will try again next weekend.