• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy with issues

Ozz

I use Nickle Steel welding rod and OXY/ ACC Henrod 2000 torch to build up the bolt catch, you can grind it down or hammer forge it hot. I got the Nickle Steel welding rod years ago from Brownells It is about $50 for a pound of .095 rod, to alter bolt handles for mounting scopes on Springfield 03 and 03A3 rifles. It is good stuff, it will take blueing, and polishes up nicely. I have used it to build up worn stamped inner parts of LEO Winchester and Mosberg 12 ga. shotguns.

I have a strong feeling this is going to end in some pew pew bliss. Just my prediction. 

Man, I sure hope so. This has been quite a learning experience but a lot of fun as well. I didn't know when I started that 308 builds can be so challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

New gas block and gas tube from Faxon arrived and were installed. Before installation, I measured the gas tubes and found my old one was 1/4" too long. New stuff worked a treat. Thanks Faxon!

New Armalite bolt catch works great, thanks again for the advice.

One new problem has arisen...failure to extract. The ejector is pushing the empty but the extractor isn't catching so the empty rattles around in the way. New extractor and spring are on order. Got about 60 rounds of various brands thru it (mostly 1 at a time due to extractor issues) and everything else is fine. Even just pointing at a 50 yard target with VERY casual aim yielded good groupings in what was basically a function test.

Thank you all for the advice! One more problem to fix and I think I have a pretty good, fun gun. Will post some pics when I'm sure it's all done.