• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Chamber work question(s)

bubbas4570

I have a question on polishing the chamber of my 308AR.

First off, has anyone ever polished their chambers on their 308AR, and if so, what did you notice afterwards?

Secondly, how did you/what did you use to polish your barrels' chamber?

I am experiencing some misfeeds that look like they are due to a bit of drag from the brass within the chamber during extraction.  I am looking to eliminate any drag due to my chamber, and this is the first step in dealing with any drag problems.  A second step will be done if necessary, and that will be done only if polishing doesn't work.

Info on the rifle:  APF factory built 16", match chamber, and I need it to work without reservation, with even slightly not perfect ammo.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this for those who were/would have been curious....

The original problem was traced back to MY reloaded brass cases being over length/past maximum trim length.  That was causing my "drag" problems. 

Trimmed brass, *poof* everything settled down.  Only one more problem showed up, and then APF fixed that with a redesigned case deflector on the upper receiver. 

The carbine is now 100%, including old CAVIM ammo that gave me problems in every other 308 I ever tried it in.  Nothing sticking, hanging up, no chamber problems, no misfeeds, these are not the droids you are looking for, ect.

And I never touched the chamber with anything on my end.  Happy I have learned to have a bit of patience in my older age....  :)

• 1 year later...

Great info! I had the head space checked today, all is good . However my reloads are really tight in the chamber and the bolt did not want to close completely.. I decided to come here for a bit of research and found this thread. I tried three different factory loads all chambered as expected. There are lite drag marks , Ill try the flitz and shotgun mop method prescribed here.

My rail is in for cerekote.......Range time is becoming closer and closer by the day now.

49 minutes ago, Jetdoc said:

Great info! I had the head space checked today, all is good . However my reloads are really tight in the chamber and the bolt did not want to close completely.. I decided to come here for a bit of research and found this thread. I tried three different factory loads all chambered as expected. There are lite drag marks , Ill try the flitz and shotgun mop method prescribed here.

My rail is in for cerekote.......Range time is becoming closer and closer by the day now.

If factory ammo is chambering with out issue , I would make sure your Hand Loads are sized properly ( Cartridge Head space Gage )  & COL is proper for the Bullet used .

Edited by survivalshop

9 hours ago, survivalshop said:

If factory ammo is chambering with out issue , I would make sure your Hand Loads are sized properly ( Cartridge Head space Gage )  & COL is proper for the Bullet used .

10-4 good buddy! That's part of my plan too. Thx for the backup!!