• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix Build (helpa rookie out)

Gator Monroe

I have a Stripped Armalite AR10A2 (carry handle) upper (Early Non FA model) and ordered a Matrix Arms Armalite pattern Lower . I plan on recreating an early 1990s era Armalite AR10A2 retro classic style rifle in either 20" HBAR or 18.5 " barrel configuration with A2 style FS/GB. I know I will want Armalite pattern everything including Armalite AR10A LPK and Barrel Nut and Armalite pattern Barrel & BCG. Seeing how I live in California where Armalite AR 10 lowers are banned by name I noticed that Armalite sells California legal Rifles. What Lowers do they incorporate in their California legal Rifles and how are they rollmarked or what markings are utilized to allow sale in California ? I ordered the Matrix lower already but would love to mate my rare upper with an actual Armalite Lower (California Legal one) . But anyhoo that digression aside I want to use Green Armalite A2 stock,PG and Green A2 Rifle handguards to maintain the A2 look & configuration . Could any posters here chime in with Parts advice (Mags) (Barrel Sources and BCG advice ) and any helpful hints are greatly appreciated ...    

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, Gator Monroe said:

I have a Stripped Armalite AR10A2 (carry handle) upper (Early Non FA model) and ordered a Matrix Arms Armalite pattern Lower . I plan on recreating an early 1990s era Armalite AR10A2 retro classic style rifle in either 20" HBAR or 18.5 " barrel configuration with A2 style FS/GB. I know I will want Armalite pattern everything including Armalite AR10A LPK and Barrel Nut and Armalite pattern Barrel & BCG. Seeing how I live in California where Armalite AR 10 lowers are banned by name I noticed that Armalite sells California legal Rifles. What Lowers do they incorporate in their California legal Rifles and how are they rollmarked or what markings are utilized to allow sale in California ? I ordered the Matrix lower already but would love to mate my rare upper with an actual Armalite Lower (California Legal one) . But anyhoo that digression aside I want to use Green Armalite A2 stock,PG and Green A2 Rifle handguards to maintain the A2 look & configuration . Could any posters here chime in with Parts advice (Mags) (Barrel Sources and BCG advice ) and any helpful hints are greatly appreciated ...    

With above quote Which Mags do I PURCHASE as a Starting point ( Which Gen Pmag or Metal M14/M1A modded for ArmaLite

37 minutes ago, Gator Monroe said:

On the PMags is there differences between Gen 2 and Gen 3 ( Like they are incompatible with AR10B ) But my ArmaLite A2 upper is not B model and my Matrix ArmaLite patern lower takes ArmaLite A pattern LPK Am I GTG with most .308 Pmags regardless of Generation of them ???

You have to try them , I have not heard of anyone mating those two Receiver Brands together . Might not have any issues , you won't know till you the safety checks to see if any initial issues .  

My Experience & a lot of it from here, is, just because a manufacturer makes a specific pattern Receiver, doesn't mean it will be of the same spec's as the one its copying & sometimes they don't play well together .

3 hours ago, Gator Monroe said:

It is the Carry Handle upper without forward assist (AR10A2 model) (Was there a carry handle B model upper without forward assist ???

I've never seen a carry handle, non FA "A" model. I'm not sure about the B stuff, we just called the AR-10's as there was only one version. They did do a reliability upgrade about the time they started with the Gen II mags but the model stayed the same. Your description makes me pretty confident you have a B model upper but I'm not sure how that will affect the mag you use. You should be able to locate a corresponding B model lower on Gunbroker, I see them there pretty regular.

A quick Google Search of pics of ArmaLite AR 10 A2 shows (Two Variants of Carry Handle upper including an A2 Carry Handle style Without Forward assist , and a later model with forward assist ) . If a early to middle 90s AR10 Carry Handle upper (Without Forward Assist is a B model I would like to know , and if my Upper is Very Rare which I think it is then I'm pleased to move forward with the build. (I live in California thus ARMALITE Lowers are verboten ,except some elusive Cal Legal Model which I'm getting nowhere on researching availability of a Stripped Lower for purchase )  

Armalite was producing the A2 style upper pretty much up until the time that the "A" model was released. I believe that they killed the production of the A2 upper at that point, and sold off all of their remaining inventory. All of them (I believe) were for the "B" pattern rifles/carbines.

But....................I could always be mistaken. I don't ever claim to be end-all know-all.