• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 Stripped Upper model Identification

Gator Monroe

A carry handle model is an AR-10A2 regardless of having a FA or not. A flat top would be an AR-10 A4, regardless if it is an A or B model. They have some other complicated codes to designate between A and B models and the other versions they have produced, I've never bothered to learn them. "Rare" is a subjective term. They are not common but I'm not sure I would call them rare. Search AR-10A2 on google and you'll find some for sale without the FA. I'm guessing your upper looks like this;

A2.thumb.jpg.c6427e7cb0676df1c3ba2f0a723

and not this;

A2FA.jpg.5ac34889cc6ed1f6a66bc5c9d1c79ac

If google images search is any indicator there seems to be more non-FA's around than those with the FA;

https://www.google.com/search?q=ar-10a2&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=610&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_vdHSrsvLAhXHqx4KHYSDAVsQsAQIGw

OK Guys I have backed away from the Matrix Lower Idea (Mating my AR10 Carry Handle model upper with a Matrix Lower ) and I will pursue ordering an ArmaLite California Compliant B series Lower . ArmaLite says the Matrix Lower is not compatible with my Pre 2012 ArmaLite Carry Handle Upper. (Matrix lower takes PMags ) and my Upper desires ArmaLite Metal Mags??) Now I'm confused but not disillusioned ... 

DUDE! You're killing me calling it a "carry handle upper". It's an A2 upper just as others have said. And it's not that they're rare with or without the FA. Just that that the flat top A4 models have become more popular with the mainstream consumers. So the A2 style has fallen to the wayside. Not saying good or bad. Everybody has different tastes.

A2_Carbine_1.thumb.jpg.54d4a72b82259e32b

Here's a typical AR-10A2 carbine. It's showing the left side, but no FA. And it's never been a problem to me that it didn't have it.