• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gun painting: ideas and tips.

JAY

So, I  know there are probably a lot of posts about painting firearms, but most of them I found were for camouflage painting. I don't hunt, I am just an avid recreational shooter, so I don't really have need of camo on my weapons. I am really looking for more customized, unique patterns.

I recently spray painted my AR handguards and buttstock in snakeskin pattern, which was my first time painting firearm parts. I had a few hiccups and imperfections, but overall I think it looks pretty cool. 

I would like to customize some of my other guns in the same manner. It seems like it is the cheapest and easiest way to set your weapon apart from the crowd. I was thinking about water transfer printing (not w/ spray paint, the real deal)but from what I have gathered from members of this forum and other online sources  it is very pricey. 

I was just hoping to get some ideas of how to make some cool unique patterns without having to buy pre-made stencils. I am not much of an artist so making my own stencils is out of the question. I would also like to know what the best spray paint to buy is. I am only planning on painting the furniture on my firearms, for some reason I like to keep all the integral parts of the firearm close to factory original, so I won't be painting my receivers or barrels most likely.

Have you tried you tube? That's how I found the one I did in the other thread you posted. Your going to find a lot of camo, even if people don't hunt most will do camo, but you may beable to find something or find a camo way and use other colors

The "clone" gun guys probably have some of the coolest patterns I've seen. Start wading through this 1200 page thread on ARF. you can probably start closer to the end as the paint jobs got better as the thread progressed.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/520524_Official_Mk12_Mod0__Mod1__ModH_Photo_and_Discussion_Thread.html

This one is pretty hot

236759_mod0rev3592.jpg

Edited by blue109

9 hours ago, blue109 said:

The "clone" gun guys probably have some of the coolest patterns I've seen. Start wading through this 1200 page thread on ARF. you can probably start closer to the end as the paint jobs got better as the thread progressed.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/520524_Official_Mk12_Mod0__Mod1__ModH_Photo_and_Discussion_Thread.html

This one is pretty hot

236759_mod0rev3592.jpg

That's awesome and would be done the same way I did with the rubber bands