• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FIRST AR 308 BUILD 4 THIS DUMMY???

HELP NEEDED ON FIRST AR 308!!!

I just picked up a XLR Industries Tactical Stock for my first AR308 Build and I have questions on if it will function properly. I have a list of parts and I would appreciate your feedback if I'm doing something wrong or if the layout is even going to work okay. After reading several reviews I know that a Rifle Length Stock would probably work best buying really don't like the options I have seen out there. I want this thing for a combo of somewhat longer range but yet still be able to use in closer quarters...

Is there a way I can get it to function correctly with Mid-Length Gas System/Carbine Stock? 

Which Buffer and Spring Setup would work best?

Here is the list of parts:

JL Billet Upper/Lower Match Set

JL Billet 15" Angle Cut Low Profile Rail

18" 308 Faxon Heavy Fluted Barrel

.308 Mechforce Muzzle Brake

.750 SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block

Mid Length Black Nitride Gas Tube

Rubber City Armory 308 Nitride BCG

Geissele SSA-E Trigger Group

& of course

The XLR Industries Tactical Stock which is Carbine Stock...

Please let me know if I am doing this correctly as I don't want this thing to brake on me first day out... 

Thanks and God Bless!!!

11 minutes ago, JohnnyChingas007 said:

I just picked up a XLR Industries Tactical Stock for my first AR308 Build and I have questions on if it will function properly. I have a list of parts and I would appreciate your feedback if I'm doing something wrong or if the layout is even going to work okay. After reading several reviews I know that a Rifle Length Stock would probably work best but I really don't like the options I have seen out there. I don't want a straight sniper rifle. I want this thing for a combo of somewhat longer range but yet still be able to use in closer quarters...

Is there a way I can get it to function correctly with Mid-Length Gas System/Carbine Stock? 

& of course...

I have not purchased a Buffer or Spring yet as I need help to get it right...

Please let me know if I am doing this correctly as I don't want this thing to brake on me first day out... 

Thanks and God Bless!!!

14 minutes ago, JohnnyChingas007 said:

I just picked up a XLR Industries Tactical Stock for my first AR308 Build and I have questions on if it will function properly. I have a list of parts and I would appreciate your feedback if I'm doing something wrong or if the layout is even going to work okay. After reading several reviews I know that a Rifle Length Stock would probably work best but I really don't like the options I have seen out there. I want this thing for a combo of somewhat longer range but yet still be able to use in closer quarters...

& of course

Thanks and God Bless!!!

Use DPMS 308 type Carbine components in that stock , I would measure the inside depth to make sure what it is . We have seen many Proprietary Manufactured Components that will not function correctly with std Buffer systems , like DPMS or AR 10 . Measuring the inside depth will tell you a lot about what will work best, the DPMS type system is the same as an AR 15 , around 7" deep .

I'm not too impressed with that stock , it has a very small attachment point for the Stock assembly its self , a weak point , but ya never know , we expect a review of its performance :thumbup:

https://xlrindustries.com/products/tactical-butt-stock

11 hours ago, JohnnyChingas007 said:

I just picked up a XLR Industries Tactical Stock for my first AR308 Build and I have questions on if it will function properly. I have a list of parts and I would appreciate your feedback if I'm doing something wrong or if the layout is even going to work okay. After reading several reviews I know that a Rifle Length Stock would probably work best but I really don't like the options I have seen out there. I want this thing for a combo of somewhat longer range but yet still be able to use in closer quarters...

& of course

Thanks and God Bless!!!

Thank you so much

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Use DPMS 308 type Carbine components in that stock , I would measure the inside depth to make sure what it is . We have seen many Proprietary Manufactured Components that will not function correctly with std Buffer systems , like DPMS or AR 10 . Measuring the inside depth will tell you a lot about what will work best, the DPMS type system is the same as an AR 15 , around 7" deep .

I'm not too impressed with that stock , it has a very small attachment point for the Stock assembly its self , a weak point , but ya never know , we expect a review of its performance :thumbup:

Awesome thank you. I believe it is. I emailed XLR if it's compatible with the AR 308 Platform but still waiting to hear back. As far as the buffer goes, what is the best buffer? I was looking at the PWS H2 Buffer with Carbine Spring. Will that work?

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

If it's DPMS type you could use this https://dsgarms.com/arm10702302  I put this on my M5 with a different stock.

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

If it's DPMS type you could use this https://dsgarms.com/arm10702302  I put this on my M5 with a different stock.

Awesome! Thank you for your feedback. I will look into it. 

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

image.jpeg

You have to use 308 components , H2 is for a AR 15.  Like these below . Heavy Buffers & his systems have good reviews also & have advertising on this sight .

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/buffers-prod42991.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=AR+xzzx308

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/index.htm?avs%7CMake_3=AR%20xzzx308 

17 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Thank you so much!!!

17 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Okay so I read another discussion about this topic and I am hoping I am getting response but the thread is really old so who knows. My thoughts are to run a Armalite Ar10 Carbine Buffer Spring or modified 308 carbine spring from Heavy Buffers on Brownells. You have been a great help already but I was wondering if this will work. Please let me know your thoughts... Thank you 

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/modified-308-ar-buffer-spring-prod44698.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=AR+xzzx308&avad=avant&aid=7835&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-ale

http://www.primaryarms.com/armea1095/p/armea1095/

http://primaryweapons.com/store/product/pws-mod-2-buffers/

The AR 10 ( Armalite ) Carbine system uses a longer Receiver Extension , if you want to use an AR 10 system , you will have to change your stock , because yours is proprietary to the Receiver Extension  ( Buffer Tube ).

JP's spring is OK as long as you use a DPMS type 308LR Buffer . Which is 2.5 " long , Heavy Buffers Spring for the DPMS system is OK also , as long as you use his or a DPMS Buffer . 

Compliments of HEAVY BUFFERS.

Buffer Table.jpg