• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Standard buffer for A2 stock

shepheard

Is anybody having feed problems or any other problems running a rifle buffer and spring in their fixed stock? I guess slowing down the bolt will help strip a new round from the mag better. I was planning on running a Armalite spring and rifle buffer in my A2 stock. I've seen heavier rifle buffers but they are real expensive, not sure if I need one.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but I'll state this much:  AR-15 rifle buffers and .308 AR rifle buffers are different.  If you're thinking of installing an AR-15 rifle buffer in your .308 AR, do not do it.  The AR-15 part is longer, and lighter.  It's not so much the 0.2oz weight difference that would get you, it's the 0.7" longer AR-15 buffer that will screw you over. 

The A2 stock goes right on there, as well as the AR-15 rifle extension (buffer tube).  The buffers and springs are different though.

Now, if you're already talking about the .308 AR-specific rifle buffer, and you're trying to determine if you need that or a custom heavy buffer, then you're the only one that can really answer that question.  If you're running the .308 AR rifle buffer, and it kicks like a mule, then it might be overgassed - a heavy buffer could benefit you in that instance.

Hope this helps, man.  <thumbsup>

Thanks much for the response. I will be installing a AR15 stock on my Ma-Ten receiver. I was told to just use the Armalite spring and buffer. I kind of thought I will have to run some rounds down range before I determine if I'll need a heavier buffer. I have heard that some people have had feed issues, stripping a round out of the mag, with the standard weight buffer. I found a place that sells heavier rifle buffers but was hoping to not spend over a hundred bucks for one. I guess if I need it I'll have to buy it, just wondering how others have worked. Thanks again....

I was told to just use the Armalite spring and buffer.

This is the part that still has me confused -no offense, brother.  What you're saying just isn't specific enough to eliminate my confusion (most of the time, I can even confuse myself, so take that into account here...  <laughs>).

You're saying "Armalite spring and buffer" here.  Armalite makes Rifle springs and Rifle buffers for AR-15s, and also for AR-10 .308 rifles.  Just makes sure you're buying Armalite parts for the .308 AR (AR-10), and NOT for an AR-15.  Is the Armalite AR-10 Rifle Buffer and Armalite AR-10 Rifle Spring compatible in a DPMS-type .308 AR?  Yes.  I'm running an Armalite AR-10 standard Rifle Buffer and AR-10 standard Rifle spring in my DPMS .308 AR. 

Just make sure you don't even TRY to use these AR-15 parts in the .308 gun.  Some AR-15 parts cross over and work - these parts don't. 

Sorry for the confusion. I will be using a Armalite spring and buffer in my build. I am using a DPMS bcg and extension in the build. I know these parts are going to be compatible as Mega has stated this to me already. I'm just wondering how the standard spring and buffer (AR10) is working out.