• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308B Chamber Barrel

JJ109

So i have a 308B chamber 1:11 twist BHW barrel on my LR308 build. I spoke with BHW about what ammo i can shoot. They advise me since its chamber in 308B i can shoot both 308 and 7.62 ammo. I thought if you barrel is chamber in 308 you can only shoot 308. If chambered in 7.62 you can shoot both?

Please correct me if I'm wrong 

generally the thought is the military had slightly looser tolerances. so a rifle chambered in 5.56 could shoot .223 and a rifle chambered in 7.62 could shoot 308. but then you have the .223 wylde chambering that is specifically designed to shoot 5.56 or .223. I am not sure if there is a .308 chambering like similarly designed like the .223 wylde, but I think you should be able to shoot either out of your gun if they say you can. but might want to check your warranty if you have one. haha.

39 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

generally the thought is the military had slightly looser tolerances. so a rifle chambered in 5.56 could shoot .223 and a rifle chambered in 7.62 could shoot 308.

That part is backwards...

yeah, sorry guys, had it backwards. been a long time since I had to even deal with 7.62x51, so my brain was thinking it was the same as the 5.56 to .223.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/technics/Winchester-308-762x51-Nato-calibers/?p=2

this link talks a lot about the pressures.

http://www.303british.com/id36.html

this link talks about case thickness, chamber dimensions, and a little of everything else.

both good reads.

On 10/8/2016 at 2:38 PM, 98Z5V said:

Don't let the "5.56 NATO vs. .223 Rem" chamber stuff get to you.  In that chamber, shoot whatever you can buy the easiest.  That chamber won't care, nor will either ammo be "unsafe."  Shoot it all.

Ok.  Thanks for clearing that up.