• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Powders for lighter bullets in .308

Pathfinder2041

Have a decent supply of Varget and Tac for 168 grain AMAX and 165 SGK out of my rifles.  For those rounds I am using Winchester brass and CCI BR primers.

I have not been too successful using either powder with 130 grain and under bullets with LC or Winchester brass.  I can get 1.5 MOA and under accuracy and consistency but want a better load for punching paper and varmits at 250-350 yards.  I have access to Benchmark, H322, CFE 223 in my bunker.  In your opinion, which one of these powders should I experiment with when I do my next load test with the lighter projectiles?  Is there another powder that I don't have that has better potential with lighter bullets?

the bullets in question are 130 grain SOST, Hornady 125 grain SST, and Barnes 110 grain TTSX (not the black tip, the blue one).  Rifle is a 308 AR 10 with 16" Balistic Advantage barrel.  Rifle currently prints 3/4" MOA with 168 grain FGMM and about the same with 165 grain AMAX and 165 SGK handloads.

35 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

My opinion ... I really like CFE223 ! I DONT like H322 because it burns too fast ! The "Benchmark" does not exist in my area ,so I have nothing to say about that product.

Follow Tom when you know stores are expecting a delivery of the Benchmark.  Or just hide in his fridge.