• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Basic list of parts?

Yoshi

.308 AR-Specific parts:

* Upper and lower

* Barrel of choice

* Handguard setup of choice

* Buffer and buffer spring (carbine or rifle, but NOT AR-15 parts here)

* Complete BCG

* Ejection Port Door (if you're not running a slickside upper)

* Muzzle device, threaded 5/8" x 24, for a .30 caliber

* Takedown and Pivot pins for the upper/lower

* Mag catch/release

Everything else, which consists of AR-15 parts:

* Pistol grip

* Lower Parts Kit (but you'll need the takedown and pivot pins, as well as the bolt catch/release, for a .308 AR)

* Receiver Extension (rifle or carbine)

* Sighting systems, backups/flips, mounts, optics, red dots, etc.

* Gas system (gas tubes, gas blocks, etc.).  If you're running an Armalite platform, you'll need their gas tubes - lengths are not the same as AR-15 parts.

I forgot something, I'm positive, but someone will chime in with it in due time.  There are specific LPKs and triggers for .308 ARs, but basic Fire Control Group parts from the AR-15 will work. MagPul PRS stocks are different between the .308 AR and the AR-15, but you can make the AR-15 PRS work.

you may want a 7.62x51 NATO stamped barrel/upper.. not just 308..

the 762x51 chamber will be a + down the line if you want to run surplus ammo..  & PMags LR20 (762x51 mags) run great in my DPMS.

IMHO..

next project for mine is Desert Camo..  8)

started this weekend messing with some mags..

CAMO1.jpg

waiting on my 5 Aervoe paint colors to come in..

YWHIC,

is that a DPMS lower mated to the DPMS upper in your photo?  I keep wanting to paint, or more likely powder coat an AR in desert tan, but am reluctant to do it to a gun that doesn't have any finish problems to begin with. I figure it's a one way trip and not something I can undo if the tan finish turns out not to be as durable as I'd like. Maybe I'll do it to an AR-15 build.

@ Jgun.. DPMS LR-308.. upper & lower..

has 0 issues after about 450+ rounds..

I just get bored and figured since I'm moving to TX in 3-5 and I plan on keeping it and a Desert camo would be good..

everyone I have read suggests FLAT clear coat by Valspar (spray)..

I sold 2 AK variants to get this, and also sold a Saiga 308 as I could only shoot 1 5/8" @ 100 yards with that and I want MORE ACCURACY.. took the $800 from the Saiga sale and put that away for 308 ammo..

I'm doing no less than a 200 yard ZERO on this.. tired of the local guys here in NJ shooting crappy 200 yard groups.. so I got this to show them how to do it.. LOL.. managed a 1 5/8" at 200 yards with 10 shots 3 weeks back.. (with a 3-9x40 scope)...  now I have the 4-12x40...

Your braver than I am, painting a gun that appears to be in perfect condition.

Regarding the accuracy, I've built a a.308 AR with an 18" match barrel that I'm hoping will give me good groups down the road when I'm willing to take the time to work up loads and practice with it. OH, AND get around to dropping the coin on a high quality optic for it. Right now I find that I tend to lean more towards the tactical matches. Also, it's my understanding that to really consider yourself to be reasonably skilled at shooting a .308 at distance, you need to work out to 5-600 yds, and I've only got access to 200yds where I live. Some of the guys I shoot with are getting involved with F class long range shooting, and have purchased high end (read high priced) bolt guns for that purpose, but the nearest places to really work on your skills for that kind of shooting (that I know of) are in PA. and I'm not ready to drive down to PA in order to practice (at least not yet).  I think if your future plans put you in TX your likely to have access to some nice long distance ranges to really develop your skills.

Parts List - you can also look to the list of links below the site advertisers on the right. It has most everything. I need to add lower parts kit and maybe the SI Defense bolt catch screw. The main site, while not a list it is broken down by parts category

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too also want to build an outrageous 308 AR. If any of you know of a book, articles or videos, (I must go back and look at the Brownell's video) that will help with the consideration of parts for purpose, I would be gratefull.

I noticed that SI Defense has a complete gas piston AR-15 utilizing Primary Weapons System, (PWS) technology. I have emailed them to ask about any developments in gas piston adaptations for the AR-10. I know that the AR-15/10 can be extremely accurate out to 600-800 yds. I just need to get it right the first go round. Money is tight and less than stellar, (ISO 9001) parts are unacceptable and undesirable.

I need your help with this guys, no laughing icons accepted! LOL?

Sonny