• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 gun PSA Gen2 PA10

jrf

I'm not sure if this is going to be a "build" yet...but maybe. While building another AR15 I stumbled across the PSA PA10 and decided to give it a shot. I ordered a complete lower and complete upper separately. (see that's not a build)  I can't really say why other than I've wanted a .308 patterned AR for a while but never a really took priority in my gun buying.  Since the price seemed decent I figured I would give it a shot.  Knowing what I already know about ARs I made some assumptions and possibly after reading here they very well might have been wrong.  I would like the gun to be reliable but honestly that's not very important to me.  This will likely just be a range gun and paper puncher(possibly hunting). So as long as it's not jamming up constantly I could live with a few feeding issues.  However...I do think in the long term accuracy will be important to me. Now every's view of accuracy is different.  If this gun will shoot 1 moa or smaller at 100 yards that would be great and I'd likely not touch anything anytime soon.  However if it is worse than that. Knowing what I know about an AR there are 3 things that make them shoot accurate.  1. Barrel  2. good free float hand guard 3. good trigger   

So number 3 seems easy as others have reported being able to use good aftermarket triggers in these.  My main concern is #1.  IF this barrel doesn't shoot well.  Is it really as simple as getting a good barrel and Bolt?  Meaning is the upper standard enough that I can get a good aftermarket barrel and either bolt or BCG to swap out? 

First things first...I really need to get some different lead downrange and see what the stock barrel does.  I've got a nice Vortex that will help me get that sorted out.

Thanks in advance...and if this is like anything else I've built...this will likely not be the ONLY 308 gun I'll own...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Az dude
On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM, jrf said:

I'm not sure if this is going to be a "build" yet...but maybe. While building another AR15 I stumbled across the PSA PA10 and decided to give it a shot. I ordered a complete lower and complete upper separately. (see that's not a build)  I can't really say why other than I've wanted a .308 patterned AR for a while but never a really took priority in my gun buying.  Since the price seemed decent I figured I would give it a shot.  Knowing what I already know about ARs I made some assumptions and possibly after reading here they very well might have been wrong.  I would like the gun to be reliable but honestly that's not very important to me.  This will likely just be a range gun and paper puncher(possibly hunting). So as long as it's not jamming up constantly I could live with a few feeding issues.  However...I do think in the long term accuracy will be important to me. Now every's view of accuracy is different.  If this gun will shoot 1 moa or smaller at 100 yards that would be great and I'd likely not touch anything anytime soon.  However if it is worse than that. Knowing what I know about an AR there are 3 things that make them shoot accurate.  1. Barrel  2. good free float hand guard 3. good trigger   

So number 3 seems easy as others have reported being able to use good aftermarket triggers in these.  My main concern is #1.  IF this barrel doesn't shoot well.  Is it really as simple as getting a good barrel and Bolt?  Meaning is the upper standard enough that I can get a good aftermarket barrel and either bolt or BCG to swap out? 

First things first...I really need to get some different lead downrange and see what the stock barrel does.  I've got a nice Vortex that will help me get that sorted out.

Thanks in advance...and if this is like anything else I've built...this will likely not be the ONLY 308 gun I'll own...

Mine shoot decent for what there purpose is If I'd have to throw out a number I'd say I'm coming in well over 2 moa but i rarely shoot the gun and this is with WOLF. It's also exactly as I bought it. I don't plan on changing anything besides the trigger, I dig the a4 look and it's going to be lightest the way it is now. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Big Kev

Just got out to shoot my PSA PA10 today for the first time. I heard some bad things but those seemed to be early versions and a simple fix. I shot less than 40 rounds and didn't have one bad issue. 

I didn't check accuracy due to a busy range and bad weather. Another gun had my priority. This PA10 came in at under $800. Well within mid level AR15 prices 

• 4 months later...

I am also in the process of my first ar 10 build.  I have a PSA stripped lower.  Had to go this route as I live in CA and can't buy a "whole" gun as it's now illegal in CA.  Have to assembly a "featureless" weapon.  So I have most of the parts but can't get a bolt catch assembly out of PSA.  It's always out of stock.  Does anyone know of another manufacture that makes one that will work?  I can't add material but can file to fit.  Just has to work not look good. 

Thanks, MOW