• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Case Wall thickness issue

survivalshop

I put this Thread here because it may not effect any other Cartridge in Reloading .

I was trying some hand loads using a new Bullet I just got yesterday , Nosler Varmageddon 110 gr. tipped , I made a dummy round & tried it out out & even though its COL was 2.000" ( which should not have an issue ) , it stuck in the chamber & had to be Mortared out , so I seated the Bullet @ 1.950" &  fed it into the chamber from a mag & it stuck again . I got another case & seated the Bullet & it functioned fine , then did another after setting the COL back @ 2.000", & it functioned fine , so now I look at the first dummy round & nothing looked out of the ordinary , took some measurements & find that compared to the other two , this first one , its a S&B cut down & formed 5.56x45 case , is larger in diameter at the case neck area.

The other two , both LC Milspec cut down & formed 5.56x45 are almost exactly the same dia., well , it can't be the bullet , I checked just to make sure , so I pulled the Bullet this S&B & the other two , what I found was interesting , the case wall thickness of the S&B was 0.014"& the two others were 0.011" That 0.003 has to be why the case stuck in the Chamber.

The RP 300BLK Brass are also 0.011" thickness , so how this S&B case got in the mix , must of been one of the first I formed a couple years ago , because all I use now are LC 5.56 brass & what RP 300BLK I have left . I have to look at all my reloads now to see if I had any more of these S&B 5.56 brass .

The last time I had this rifle at the range , I had some issues with the case sticking in the Chamber , on the last batch that I shot , I think it was the last ten , now that i think about it & I thought it was the Hornady Amax ,that I thought at the time had a too long of a COL, I have reset the COL on them , now I have to look at the cases .

The S&B must have a thicker case wall at the area leading up to the shoulder , because as we all know , thats where we cut them down to reform them . 

23 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

The S&B must have a thicker case wall at the area leading up to the shoulder , because as we all know , thats where we cut them down to reform them . 

This is one of the reasons I only form LC brass anymore.  I had this exact same problem with Privi brass and Federal M193 brass.

Nice, good list to have .

Found four in that last ten that I had issues with were S&B , then two more in the new reloads . I stoped shooting the last time when I had issues with some of the last ten I had .       Showing 0.336-7" & LC & RP 300BLK showing 0.330 " at neck of case .  

Crazy its the first time I came upon this & also crazy they were all in the last ten or so I tried to shoot , because I must have went through 200-250 rounds before I got to those last ten or so .

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is one of the reasons I only form LC brass anymore.  I had this exact same problem with Privi brass and Federal M193 brass.

I only use LC also , these must be from when I first loaded for the 300BLK , just were never cycled in the rifle & the last time out with the 300BLK , I made a point of using all the old stuff , what a way to find out about the brass . Ya just never stop learning , at least till you DIE !:lmao:

Might want to make a sticky of that list of Brass 

Edited by survivalshop