• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Advice on an M1 Garand Sniper Rifle Needed

jtallen83

A friend needs some advice on scoping his M1 to make it a period correct sniper rifle. He has a  M1 Garand (USMC M1952 M1C). He needs to find an MC-1 USMC STITH Kollmorgen 4Xd scope with  Griffin & Howe 1" mounts. Any leads on a source for these would be greatly appreciated, and make an old Marine very happy. This stuff is pretty much Greek to me.

I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but if you want a genuine M1 Garand, keep an eye on the CMP website.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program has received word that the Philippine government could be shipping 86,000 M1 Garand rifles back to the United States for distribution to American civilian shooters. Mark Johnson, Chief Operating Officer of the CMP, commented on the possible upcoming delivery to The Firearm Blog:

There are 86,000 or so M1s hopefully coming back to the Army.  We hope to see them in the future.

This would be one of the largest shipments of M1 Garand rifles back to the US in recent years, and since the CMP only has to pay the cost to ship the rifles back to America (as the guns are already owned by the US government), it’s likely that these would come in at a very affordable cost relative to the wider M1 Garand market. In other words, this shipment may be your big chance to pick up one of General George S. Patton’s “most deadly rifle in the world” for yourself!

If you are interested in buying one of these CMP M1 Garands when (or if) they hit the CMP store and haven’t gone through the process of CMP approval before, be sure to check out my two-part article on how to qualify and get your very own M1 rifle. It’s a very special feeling to have a rifle shipped directly to your door, courtesy of the US government (via the CMP), and I highly recommend to everyone that can to try it at least once!

7 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

A friend needs some advice on scoping his M1 to make it a period correct sniper rifle. He has a  M1 Garand (USMC M1952 M1C). He needs to find an MC-1 USMC STITH Kollmorgen 4Xd scope with  Griffin & Howe 1" mounts. Any leads on a source for these would be greatly appreciated, and make an old Marine very happy. This stuff is pretty much Greek to me.

I thought I read somewhere , where they were making or refurbishing the old M1 Sniper scopes. As above said , CMP , a good idea ,but I believe that an original will set you back some coin .

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1496780.htm

Edited by survivalshop

There are repro's out there of the mounts for around $400.00 , an original Griffin and Howe mount are hard to come by and the ones that I have seen have been from 1k up, best bet would be keep an eye on ebay, I have seen them come up from time to time. M84 scopes are also expensive if original , beware of fakes, STITH Kollmorgen scopes have sold for 3-4K

Here is my M1D, I also have another M1 that's possibly a C version that was possibly converted by the USMC in the early 50's , have tried to find out for sure ,contacted Springfield as well as the USMC museum for info , all I was able to obtain was a reply of possibly, without documentation from the USMC  it's only 50/50 chance is what the curator at USMC museum told me.

4xFnUtHh.jpg

s5Nt9D2h.jpg