• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Grips for the mod.19

survivalshop

I just ordered a new set of wood factory grips for my Mod. 19-3 from Brownells , they always seem to be out of stock when I look for them at S&W  . They want too much $$ for an original set from that time frame & I don't think there is a difference anyway . I like the Pachmayr's, but like the Wood looks much better , will still probably shoot with the Rubbers though & I want it to be like its bigger brother , 29-3.

This Mod. 19 Target has the recess in the Cylinder for the Base of the Cartridge , don't see too many around like that .

DSCN2928.thumb.JPG.a70081f801be6deb26f90dae227641a2.JPGDSCN2929.thumb.JPG.4bbbdf187cf19d54402ddf4d54da84f2.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

I have a set of S&W grips off my dad's duty gun from the mid 70's that are like new, first thing he did was take them off and put Pachmayr's on it. Not sure what model it was, stainless 357, looks real similar to the wood you have there. How much are these old grips worth?

Duty Grips a a little smaller then the Target ones ,like on the Mod. 29 in the Photo. They follow the Frame , where as the Target Grips have some wood out side the Grip Frame .

Here are some original factory grips ( Target )for sale  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-Model-19-5-Wood-Pistol-Grips-/252977275500?hash=item3ae69ee26c:g:6~YAAOSwx6pYoG~I

Here are the Service size 59430d5b76ac8_servicegrips.jpg.eb3f82c4b15c7564512d7fdde336f520.jpg

Target size 

59430dad7f530_targetgrips.jpg.29e727cf7c417441e3348d84488d1658.jpg

1 hour ago, The Father said:

Put a set of Pachmayers or pachaderms combat grips, or whatever on my Model 10 S&W 38 Special. What a difference those made in handling.

Yes , they handle much better , but with out the looks . The Model  29 sure shoots better with them , I should get a set for it , just don't shoot the wheel guns much any more .

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

These are definitely the target grips. I'll send some pictures when I get home in a week. They look like the ebay listing but smoother, not as grainy.

There are other smooth grips also from other manufacturers that were popular & S&W might have factory ones also .

59432451b19cf_smoothwoodgrips.jpg.13b8db02086b7a0788143dad5cc2a4b1.jpg

These are probably original , but to me , I wouldn't know the difference , nor to me does it matter .http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657180477

Edited by survivalshop

I pulled the Pach grips off my 629 and replaced them with a set of hand carved grips from Thailand that mimic the classic N Frame grips of the 29 and 28 S and W's. Cost me $64. Did the same for my Model 29 as I like the oversize wood grips. I will see if I can dig up some pictures of them.

I found the 29 with the aftermarket grips. Have to take a picture of the 629. Picture above it still had the Pachs.

20160811_162952.thumb.jpg.8defff0386868703c9cd2fa6738e92ae.jpg

Edited by Sisco

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Yes , they handle much better , but with out the looks . The Model  29 sure shoots better with them , I should get a set for it , just don't shoot the wheel guns much any more .

There are other smooth grips also from other manufacturers that were popular & S&W might have factory ones also .

59432451b19cf_smoothwoodgrips.jpg.13b8db02086b7a0788143dad5cc2a4b1.jpg

These are probably original , but to me , I wouldn't know the difference , nor to me does it matter .http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657180477

NICE ... very pretty color.  :thumbup:

7 hours ago, GRA said:

NICE ... very pretty color.  :thumbup:

Ya , but that price they want for them is crazy . I'm sure there is a way you can tell if the Grips are original for easy Grips , but the ones I ordered are $ 61 & will work just as good & are from S&W , so unless you are a dated original freak , the new ones are just as good .

Those Smooth Grips in the photo above , if your hands get a little sweaty , they can slip a little .

Here's the add from Brownells , every time I went to buy some from any where , they are always out of stock . I saw these & impulse bought them :laffs:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/k-l-frame-square-checkered-grips-prod104162.aspx?lp_pageid=add2&cm_sp=Secondary+Banner-_-Lower+Homepage+Feature-_-HHP_New_Products

Edited by survivalshop

I bought my 19 the way you see it , well actually , my wife paid for it . We paid $ 300 for the Model 19 about ten years ago , I always wanted to get wood Grips for it , the Model 29 about a year later & then a couple of Colt wheel guns . I passed up a 6" Trooper & wish I didn't .

I really like the Darker wood , was surprised to see them that dark ,more of a Walnut , instead of Cherry . Perfect fit , came with two Pins , one for the bottom & one near the Trigger guard . Don't remember having any like that in any other S&W , but my old brain may not remember . Absolutely beautiful though .

DSCN2940.thumb.JPG.d93b5bbe10f4f0b9cebba81914f0dad2.JPG