• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

POF Lower with DPMS Upper

bobk538447

If anyone is wanting to know how to mate the larger hole DPMS upper with the small hole AR lower take down pins on the POF receiver, the solution looks like it can be solved with a couple of "Colt Receiver Adapter Offset Bushing".  For the younger guys Colt AR-15s use to have two different size pivot pins. 

If you look how the upper mates with the lower you can see that the holes appear slightly offset.

I found some online for $3.50 a piece which is pretty cheap.  When I get hem in I will let everyone know how well they work. Hopefully, this will help the guys who bought stripped POF lowers.

Edited by bobk538447
grammer

11 hours ago, bobk538447 said:

If anyone is wanting to know how to mate the larger hole DPMS upper with the small hole AR lower take down pins on the POF receiver, the solution looks like it can be solved with a couple of "Colt Receiver Adapter Offset Bushing".  For the younger guys Colt AR-15s use to have two different size pivot pins. 

If you look how the upper mates with the lower you can see that the holes appear slightly offset.

I found some online for $3.50 a piece which is pretty cheap.  When I get hem in I will let everyone know how well they work. Hopefully, this will help the guys who bought stripped POF lowers.

We have seen this before , just adds to the possibility of potential Tolerance Stacking . Keep us informed , these miss match combo's are always interesting . if you look hard enough back a few years , you will find a Thread on this subject .

Edited by survivalshop

4 hours ago, bobk538447 said:

I hope they work, because that's AR15 shiit, right there.  Those bushings and adapters work for the AR15 pin sizes of 0.154" (small pin) and 0.169" (Colt large pin, with a bore of 0.170" that they go into). 

I don't think that's gonna work on large frame ARs, because the pins sizes are already larger than that.

Also, Colt did that to confirm that no "unauthorized" uppers and lowers were mated together, as a ban-move.  That's the only reason they made the large-pin receivers, and they were the only company to do it.  The Colt large pin receivers were made between 1990 and 2009. 

I suppose a set of Bushings made would work . Wish I could find that Thread here on this , someone mated a set like this & it worked , but had issues & changed to a different lower or something like that . It was a long time ago . Found it , it doesn't have much info & one of the links is dead , I thought it had more info .

Edited by survivalshop

• 1 year later...

My project has been sitting for awhile between work and other things. The colt receiver adapter bushings were too big for the DMPS upper receiver holes. I didn't want to mess up the lower receiver and plan on getting a different upper receiver later on anyways..

I took the plunge and drilled the front upper receiver hole out with a 5/16" drill bit half way from both sided.  The bushing slide in nicely.  The upper receiver is tight to the lower receiver with no slop.