• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Receiver Compatability

D.R.D.

This may have been addressed before, but I cannot seem to find the thread about it.

I've got one of the last generation SI Defense upper receivers (DPMS High pattern), before they transitioned into Falkor Defense.

I cannot find any SI lowers available to match it, nor does Flakor offer the lowers only on their site, only matched sets.

What other lowers has anyone used that will run reliably with the SI upper?  I though I recalled reading about feeding issues with certain mags.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, D.R.D. said:

This may have been addressed before, but I cannot seem to find the thread about it.

I've got one of the last generation SI Defense upper receivers (DPMS High pattern), before they transitioned into Falkor Defense.

I cannot find any SI lowers available to match it, nor does Flakor offer the lowers only on their site, only matched sets.

What other lowers has anyone used that will run reliably with the SI upper?  I though I recalled reading about feeding issues with certain mags.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I had a GenII SI Defense on an Early Billet CMMG Lower & it had issues with the original LR PMags , but would work fine with any Metal Mag brand & Lancer L 7 mags . The Upper also worked on my DPMS Lower , with all mags . The early CMMG was designed & made long before Magpul came out with their LR PMags. The Gen 3 LR PMags worked fine in this rifle . Magpul made some changes to the new Gen 3 .

4 minutes ago, D.R.D. said:

Has anyone you know of had success mixing and matching with an Aero M5?  (Please don't tell me I'm invoking the "rule" ;-)

Well, in the thread I linked, that was on a DPMS (actual) lower receiver.  Aero is DPMS-based.  I'd risk it. 

Good deal...I only need the receiver, though.  I'm thinking of a PRS stock and trigger tech 2-stage for it.

BTW, anyone know what the best buffer weight is for a 6.5CM out of a 24" barrel (~140gr)?  Would it benefit from a heavy buffer, or would an adjustable gas block be sufficient?  

Any for a 308AR should work , you have to start some where , you can always go to a Heavy Buffers, Buffer , if needed , or as you say , start off with one . The 140 gr. load will have less recoil impulse then a 175 gr. 308 , I would think , it would have somewhat the same Chamber pressure ( something that you would need to look up  ) so basically the same  Chamber pressures involved , so go with any 308AR Buffer system , AR 10, DPMS or Heavy Buffers . your call .

https://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-6/200961145351-hornadycreedmoor.pdf 

308 Winchester Reloading Specifications:
Centerfire Rifle Cartridge
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer-2.gifReloading:
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifEquipment
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifProcedure
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifCase
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifPrimer
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifPowder
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifBullet
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifLoad Testing
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifRun-Out
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer.gifCalculating Kinetic Energy.
01-GunnersDen-navigation-spacer-2a-botto
308 Winchester Cartridge:
01-GunnersDen-specification-rifle-cartri
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifBullet Diameter - .308".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifPrimer Diameter - .210".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifPrimer Type - Large Rifle.
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifCase Neck Diameter - .343".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifCase Shoulder Diameter - .454".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifCase Base Diameter - .471".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifCase Rim Diameter - .473".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifMin. Case Length - 2.005" / Trimmed.
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifMax. Case Length - 2.015" / Stretched.
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifMin. Cartridge Loaded Length - 2.490".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifMax. Cartridge Loaded Length - 2.810".
01-GunnersDen-specification.gifMax. Average Pressure - 62,000 PSI.