• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

When is it DONE !

Got your attention ,  I have an old AR that I'm beginning to replace worn old parts & though I would share some this late seventies built AR 15 components that are showing their age after almost forty years of service .

This Rifle is built mostly of Olympic Arms Components , some mil surplus , because they were not many building in those times , Olympic Arms was one of a few who had Receiver sets or Match Hand Guards , I have on this Rifle one of the first types that came out . The HG is the Barrel Nut , one piece all Aluminum & I even have an all Steel one , that is a bit heavy for use , but some day make a complete Upper out of .

I'm changing out the Buffer system , new Buffer ( Rifle ) & its Spring , The Photo shows how the Buffer Spring on the left , has a slight bend , unlike the new one on the right . I see anything but a straight Spring , I replace it . These , as with all other Components are original from the build date , The FCG is G2S & I installed a Flat top TM Upper , to install a scope , she has had & only been shot with A2 sights from the beginning ,until I went with the FT of course .

DSCN2968.thumb.JPG.74f342d6489bc216f0f0b51ba288d43a.JPG

This photo shows is of the Buffer , notice its designed a little different & also notice the Discoloration of the Bumper at the end .

DSCN2964.thumb.JPG.4b09978d002593148bc2f4704b4ff1c9.JPG

DSCN2965.thumb.JPG.3ec310dc917a227ca8c6c586efc23d60.JPG

DSCN2966.thumb.JPG.15fb98ed4d6539543655ec7f2d2a8bfd.JPG

DSCN2967.thumb.JPG.65778961970d1d1eefd1c6cf7131405c.JPG

The Rifle 

DSCN2758.thumb.JPG.5ed9102d330e60408cd5b0fa37d3df54.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

On 8/2/2017 at 11:31 PM, bubbas4570 said:

And I may assume that it still retains very good accuracy....

Yes it does , Stainless Steel , Ultra Match , HB  .

4 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

Impressive !

Did you ever change any parts ?

And I assume you are reasonable when it comes to cleaning and lube !

Again .. impressive !!

As far as needed parts , I think I replaced the Firing Pin many years ago . I installed a Flat top Receiver a few years ago , just to put a Scope on , to see how well she did shoot , Iron sights ( A2 ) work, but hard to tell what kind of precision can be attained with out a decent Scope ( at least for me ) . I installed a Geissele G2S for the same reason . other then that & what I just replaced are it .

I'm taking a new Extractor , Spring , Pin & an Ejector ,Spring & pin, with me to the Range to see what is needed fix the short ejection issue that has cropped up . The replacing of the Buffer system may be all that is needed .

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the Rifle after changing out to a new Buffer & Spring , all brass ejected at 3 o'clock & out about 3-4 ft. , much better then dropping hot out of the Chamber on my hand .

So , that shows that the Extractor & Ejector are not the only things that can effect ejection .

Edited by survivalshop