• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to Forum, LR-308 Fail to fire 2nd shot

Hey all,  I've got a new to me custom built LR-308.  I'm the third owner and the second owner never fired the gun.  It will fire the first round, eject, chamber a new round, hammer goes off but won't fire the second round.  The primer is dented slightly but from what I understand that can be from just chambering the round.  If I eject the unfired round and let it chamber another it will fire and then fail to fire the 2nd round.  I've only shot about 30-40 rounds through it.  Do I just need to oil it up and keep going or what kinds of things do I need to look at? 

Edited by Thielcat

^^^  This.  Plus, the oil.  It needs to be WELL oiled.  VERY WELL oiled.  I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a picture of exactly what I'm talking about.

Get the parts details up here, if you know them.  Otherwise, it'll be pics-and-measurements time.

Hi  Theil       the reason it wont fire is because you have the hammer spring installed wrong.....the legs are okay but the spring square part goes behind not in the front.......this is why you are fubar       Wash

you can go look at a diagram or hold on for a sec and ill shoot a pic.....   that's what I see from the pic...maybe you do have it on correct and its covered by the hammer?

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by washguy

54 minutes ago, Thielcat said:

It is, been sitting in the cabinet since before harvest. I finally have time to get after it again. 

your hammer spring looks to be on correct...looked at it again...oil it...take the bcg apart and oil that too  ....clean the chamber real good too  and the first check is always one round in mag charge it make it go bang ...and then check to see if the bolt catch is holding the carrier...   Wash 

Well, that has to be a rifle receiver extension (buffer tube), or the stock wouldn't bolt on (screw on).  The buffer should be 5.200" long, or it's not a 308 rifle buffer.  Hopefully, the spring isn't an AR-15 spring.  Measure the relaxed length of the spring, and we can tell you for sure...

Wrong buffer and spring - at least for that buttstock.  That's a DPMS-based carbine buffer for a 308.  Same shortass buffer spring.

Lemme ask you - is that buttstock secured on the rifle?  Cna you just pull it right off? Or, is it secured with the vented buttstock screw (the one on the buttpad, at the top, should screw into a threaded hole in the back of the receiver extension...)?Was there any kind of a spacer in the receiver extension, after you pulled out the  buffer and buffer spring?

EDIT - I'm surprised you don't have "slam marks" on your lower receiver, where the BCG would crash into it.  Seriously.

Edited by 98Z5V

Yep - correct receiver extension, WAY wrong buffer and spring. You need a 308AR Rifle Buffer in that thing, measures 5.200" long.  Might as well toss an Armalite EA1095 spring in there as well.  That spring just runs, and there's only a couple alternatives for rifle-length recoil system springs on the market.  Tubb Flatwire spring is another good option.

Both Armalite (AR-10) and DPMS-based (LR-308) rifle buffers are identical in dimensions.  Wouldn't really matter what you get for that - I haven't seen the aftermarket screw that up yet, on rifle buffers for these big ARs.  Just verify that the buffer you're buying is 5.200" long (within a thou or three wouldn't matter), and it should weigh about 5.4oz.  Or pretty close.  :thumbup: