• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What I did over the New Year break.....

308kiwi

I've been procrastinating and deliberating over the diabolical mess in the reloading room downstairs, finally found some motivation over the holidays, built lots of new shelves, tidied up, relocated and re-homed all the crap that's been cluttering up the floor in empty ice cream tubs for the last few years...............OK, now I'll tell the truth, the wife built all the new shelves and tidied up, I spent a day and a half farting around deciding where everything would go.

But it all came out well at the end of the day, it's now a pleasure to go in there...

New relaoding set up.jpg

Team work :thumbup:

I see a Lortone Tumbler .My lortone Tumbler has worked for me for around forty years , I just got a Thumblers Tumbler for Christmas & the tried & true Lortone is going into light duty dry type Tumbling only now . The TT is for my wet work .

Is you guide on the Lortone with the Drum Nut & a sheet metal fork it fits in ? Or is it the newer type with a Roller guide .

Heya SS, the guide is a little strip of sheet metal with a notch to accommodate the plastic nut on the drum. Seems to work OK, I couldn't tell ya how many loads it's tumbled over the 5 or 6 years that I've had it, one of my better investments, note the dehydrator further along the shelf, the BEST way to dry your brass after tumbling :cool:.

3 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

Heya SS, the guide is a little strip of sheet metal with a notch to accommodate the plastic nut on the drum. Seems to work OK, I couldn't tell ya how many loads it's tumbled over the 5 or 6 years that I've had it, one of my better investments, note the dehydrator further along the shelf, the BEST way to dry your brass after tumbling :cool:.

I put a roller attached to the opposite end  , off to one side of center & eliminated that guide in front . I went through a couple of the Plastic Nuts & a Machinist friend made me one out of Aluminum ,which I'm still using , but it & that guide are worn pretty good . The roller in the back is similar to the new Lortones . I used a chair roller & bolted it down , I'll take a Photo to show how its set up , I just set the Drum down on the rollers & let it go .

1 hour ago, sketch said:

.. how long would you sugest this takes..

Probably 30 minutes would be more than enough, I leave it in for an hour @ 60deg, (140 Fahrenheit), works a treat. I picked the dehydrator up at a local housewares store for like $60 on sale, ($40US), so it's a cheap addition to the process.

In AZ, it's too damn hot to load ammo in the summer - but I sure do prep alot of brass in the summer. I get through all the prep processes, and lay it out back on a cookie sheet to dry out.  Man, I'm not kidding, I can pick that stuff up in about 15 minutes, and it's bone dry.  After that, it gets sealed, and I start the loading process once the cooler weather sets in. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

In AZ, it's too damn hot to load ammo in the summer

Ha, over here it's the opposite, it's too damn cold in winter to load ammo. We average 25 deg C (77 F) in mid summer and -5 to +10 C (23 to 50 F) in the winter, obviously quite different to you in AZ 98Z5V, I don't know how you guys deal with that sort of desert heat, it would shrivel me to a dry husk.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:06 PM, 308kiwi said:

Sweet, when you get a minute please do:thumbup:

Its a Chair replacement roller ( I think it had a stem & I got rid of it to put a Bolt through ) , with an "L" Bracket & a bolt . I have a spare , because they came in a two pack from Home Depot or Ace Hardware .  Works real good .

DSCN3129.thumb.JPG.ec219fd9fda2b41cc9fa4f6e7d84abbf.JPG

DSCN3130.thumb.JPG.b6bfcc64e33c0ae7daa88ea00b686d4b.JPG

DSCN3131.thumb.JPG.ce5edf74a4daa71477c4f62c7a2519c3.JPG