• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Light primer strikes

Kyblue82

Hey everyone, been a while since I’ve been here. I completed my .308 several months ago and after getting the right buffer spring it has performed flawlessly. I had major back surgery about 2 months ago and I took my rifle out for the first time in months. I loaded the mag, tacked the first round and it fired perfect, the next 5 rounds all I got was a click when I pulled the trigger. After getting home I disassembled the rifle only to find that the buffer retainer was gone. Of course I have to replace it but my question is with the retainer missing could that be the reason I’m getting light primer strikes and if not then could someone please tell me what other possibilities could be causing this issue.

Thank yaw for any help you can provide.

1 hour ago, Kyblue82 said:

After getting home I disassembled the rifle only to find that the buffer retainer was gone. Of course I have to replace it but my question is with the retainer missing could that be the reason I’m getting light primer strikes and if not then could someone please tell me what other possibilities could be causing this issue.

Thank yaw for any help you can provide.

Only if it fell into the fire control group pocket, and jammed up the trigger somehow.  Otherwise, it doesn't need to be in place to have a functional AR.  It's only there to contain parts when you break the upper from the lower.  The retainer shouldn't have come out, if the receiver extension was screwed in far enough to keep it in place - see if you can get some pics of the retainer hole in the lower, that shows the receiver extension end, in the lower receiver.

Check your hammer spring, and make sure it's installed correctly - they can be installed backwards, and cause light primer strikes.

Edited by 98Z5V

I didn’t see the retainer in the fcg and like i said it has performed flawlessly up til now, if the hammer spring was backwards wouldn’t I have had problems prior til now. Plus the spring for the retainer was still there but I couldn’t find the retainer anywhere. Are there any other things that could be causing this? And thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the process of during my down time doing a little tuning to my rifle. I have a few questions. I know I’ve seen a few of the answers on the forum before but with still recuperating from back surgery and a single dad of four which are out of school now I just don’t have the time to keep my mobile computer in front of my face for more than a few minutes at a time and I think I actually saw what I’m looking for in a post from 98z5z. I’m curious about changing my receiver extension which is aero kit plus tubbs flat wire on to an armalite carbine tube, can I still use the tubbs flat wire in it and what kind of buffer can I use, also have a larue mbt-2s on the way, any info or comments is greatly appreciated guys, and with Memorial Day coming up I just want to give a shout to all the service men and women who put their lives on line and some who have made the ultimate sacrifice that civilian families like mine are able to have the freedoms we do because of you, from me and mine we love each and everyone of you and there are no words to describe how much thanks we owe you, and God bless each and everyone of you 

17 minutes ago, Kyblue82 said:

can I still use the tubbs flat wire in it and what kind of buffer can I use

Yes. the Tubbs is good with everything, even rifle length. With the Armalite buffer tube you use a H3 AR15 carbine buffer.

Doubt you have any light strikes with the LaRue trigger but they do ship them with a heavy spring just in case.

Here we go...  That receiver extension needs to go in another turn, and it will have to be notched to clear that buffer retainer.  This just came up in another thread. That will keep the BCG from crashing into the ears on the lower receiver.

Also, there is only one thing that will chew a buffer like that - when the receivers close together, the back of the BCG pushes the buffer OFF the retainer.  The only time the buffer should touch the retainer,is when the receivers are open. 

Your BCG isn't pushing the buffer off the retainer, when the receivers are closed.  Every single time that rifle recoils, the buffer retainer catches the buffer coming back forward, and chew the hell out of the face of the buffer.  The force finally broke the buffer retainer - that's why it's gone.

This is usually caused by out of spec receivers - either the upper or the lower.  There used to be a cure for this, but it's off the market now.  The Tubb CWS.  When installed, if added 0.080" to the length of the BCG...  thus, enough for the BCG to push the buffer off the buffer retainer when the receivers close. The Tubb CWS is out of production.

Edited by 98Z5V

OP, would you kindly list all the parts used in this build, and the part details?

Here's the other thread I referenced, in relation to the receiver extension needs to be screwed in one more turn:

Proudly. I run nothing but Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil systems on all my Large Frame ARs - that run collapsible stocks.  I only have one Big AR that runs a rifle recoil system.  The rest are all running AR-10 Carbine recoil systems.  Hassle free.  Works every time.

That gun in that thread that I linked was the newest Grendel build.  I had to get that RE right, and notch it. I've never had to do any of that nonsense with the Big AR Armalite parts. Ever.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

This is usually caused by out of spec receivers - either the upper or the lower.  There used to be a cure for this, but it's off the market now.  The Tubb CWS.  When installed, if added 0.080" to the length of the BCG...  thus, enough for the BCG to push the buffer off the buffer retainer when the receivers close. The Tubb CWS is out of production.

I happen to know a certain machinist that might be able to MAKE some BCG extensions - just like the now-defunct Tubb CWS, that will cure your issue...  I'll reach out to him...

15 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I happen to know a certain machinist that might be able to MAKE some BCG extensions - just like the now-defunct Tubb CWS, that will cure your issue...  I'll reach out to him...

I would think there would be a market for these in both the large and small frame rifles. I'd be in for a couple just to have them.

Done deal. I'll pull a Tubb CWS this weekend, and send it to my machinist.  Already talked to him about it. He said he'd get it done.  I'm good with my machinist, too, so if he told me he'd crush it, then he probably will.   :hail::thumbup:

Only thing I can reason on it is - they didn't sell enough of them. 

It works, really well, for what it was truly designed to do... :thumbup:

Add enough weight to decrease the bolt unlocking time until the rough was clear of the barrel... 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Proudly. I run nothing but Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil systems on all my Large Frame ARs - that run collapsible stocks.  I only have one Big AR that runs a rifle recoil system.  The rest are all running AR-10 Carbine recoil systems.  Hassle free.  Works every time.

That gun in that thread that I linked was the newest Grendel build.  I had to get that RE right, and notch it. I've never had to do any of that nonsense with the Big AR Armalite parts. Ever.

What spring and buffer do you run with your setups?

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Here we go...  That receiver extension needs to go in another turn, and it will have to be notched to clear that buffer retainer.  This just came up in another thread. That will keep the BCG from crashing into the ears on the lower receiver.

Also, there is only one thing that will chew a buffer like that - when the receivers close together, the back of the BCG pushes the buffer OFF the retainer.  The only time the buffer should touch the retainer,is when the receivers are open. 

Your BCG isn't pushing the buffer off the retainer, when the receivers are closed.  Every single time that rifle recoils, the buffer retainer catches the buffer coming back forward, and chew the hell out of the face of the buffer.  The force finally broke the buffer retainer - that's why it's gone.

Is there another possible explanation that bcg isn't pushing the buffer back when lowered? I'm using an aero m5e1 upper lower set and I know they are pretty good with their tolerances but people do make mistakes. I'm just throwing this out there because my knowledge is still limited but could adjusting that tension screw on the lower have anything to do with it? Or what about screwing the receiver extension in one more time like you mentioned. I appreciate all yaws help.

18 minutes ago, Kyblue82 said:

Is there another possible explanation that bcg isn't pushing the buffer back when lowered?

Receiver extension not screwed in far enough will make the BCG hit the ears on the lower.  That's a receiver extension that's "too deep" in internal depth - because it's not screwed in far enough.

Chewing up a buffer is only one thing.  The BCG isn't pushing the buffer off the buffer retainer when you close the receivers.  There's a gap in there that shouldn't be there.  What can cause that?  Is the upper machined wrong?  Is the BCG body too short?  Are the pin holes for the takedown and pivot pins that mate the upper and lower in the wrong place - on the upper or on the lower? Did the buffer retainer hole not get drilled at the angled-hole that is should be at, and get drilled straight vertical instead?... 

It's a machining issue, and something isn't machined right, on some component, or it wouldn't be chewing up the buffer face.  That BCG isn't pushing the buffer off the retainer when the receivers close. You can inspect this and look for it, but you need a badass flashlight and some dedicated eyes.

Edited by 98Z5V

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

AR15 H3 buffer (or Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer - same exact thing, identically) and Armalite EA1095 spring.  Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension.  Never a problem.  Ever.

Will the h3 buffer still work with my tubbs flat wire spring?