• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What spring for an AR10/A5 Buffer tube and Slash XH-Car Buffer (3.25"/8.5oz)?

Joeymac

I'm going to switch away from my Carbine Tube and Slash Heavy Buffer (2.5"/5.6oz) to an A5/AR10 length tube. This should give me more flexibility in selecting 3.25" buffers to tune my gun for suppressed vs unsuppressed shooting as it's easy to find 3.8/4.6/5.4/6.5/8.5oz  since they are just AR15 buffers. Plus I'd like a tad more length of pull. The gun is a 14.5" midlength .308 to be specific. 

What spring would I use in an A5/AR10 tube with regular sized 3.25" carbine buffer?

It looks like the Slash XH-Carbine Buffer (3.25"/8.5oz) has some extra thickness on the head of the bufer... Does this change what spring should be used with this buffer in an A5 tube? 

Typical/HSS buffer shape vs XH buffer:

HSS%20Buffer%20Web.gif XH%20CAR%20Buffer.gif

I found a post from 98Z5V in the thread below saying if you run the Armalite AR10 Carbine receiver extension (same as A5 RE) with the typical AR15 H3 Carbine buffer, you should use the Armalite EA1095 buffer spring... I' m just not sure what spring should be run with that XH Carbine buffer since it's shaped differently than the H3 AR15 buffer.  

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

Slash recommends the standard AR-10 spring. I personally use a Tubb flat wire spring. 

You mean he recommends a standard AR10 Carbine or Rifle spring?

Is there a difference?

Armalite OEM the best source or is there a more premium option?

11 hours ago, Joeymac said:

I'm going to switch away from my Carbine Tube and Slash Heavy Buffer (2.5"/5.6oz) to an A5/AR10 length tube. This should give me more flexibility in selecting 3.25" buffers to tune my gun for suppressed vs unsuppressed shooting as it's easy to find 3.8/4.6/5.4/6.5/8.5oz  since they are just AR15 buffers.

Be careful with that.  To me, it really looks like you're quoting weights for VLTOR A5 buffers, and those WILL NOT WORK in a 308 setup, at all.

Armalite EA1095 spring is what I run in all of them. I've personally never had a need to run the Tubbs flatwire spring, because the EA1095 just plain works.  Just received some more parts today - DSG Arms was out of Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extensions, so I just grabbed a VLTOR A5 receiver extension, H3 buffer, and another EA1095 spring. Works like a champ on these .308s...   That spring will be fine with Slash's XH buffer, too...

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Be careful with that.  To me, it really looks like you're quoting weights for VLTOR A5 buffers, and those WILL NOT WORK in a 308 setup, at all.

Armalite EA1095 spring is what I run in all of them. I've personally never had a need to run the Tubbs flatwire spring, because the EA1095 just plain works.  Just received some more parts today - DSG Arms was out of Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extensions, so I just grabbed a VLTOR A5 receiver extension, H3 buffer, and another EA1095 spring. Works like a champ on these .308s...   That spring will be fine with Slash's XH buffer, too...

Those should be the approximate weights of standard 3.25" AR15 buffer weights (H/H2/H3/HSS/Slash-XH)... no?

The nice thing is that I already have Car, H2 and H3 buffers sitting around. So I picked up a Slash XH off the ARF EE today and MOE FCS off the . 

12 hours ago, Joeymac said:

Those should be the approximate weights of standard 3.25" AR15 buffer weights (H/H2/H3/HSS/Slash-XH)... no?

The HSS, I don't know - just don't know it's specs.  Those numbers match the H/H2/H3 and Slash XH, though.  The weights you listed were really close to the 6 different VLTOR A5 weights, which is why I said that.  :thumbup: