• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel recommendations

eward4

I'm just now starting my first build and have been looking at barrels. I'm leaning towards the Ballistic Advantage 20" stainless but was wondering is any of you have any other recommendations? I'm attaching it to an Aero M5 upper with a Lantac E-BCG. Thanks for any advice! 

Hi EW     I don't know what your use is going to be, but all of my 308's are 16 inch except one that is 18 inches.....the 16 '' will shoot just fine out to 500...that was the limit of our range...if you are gonna hunt or use it for home defense theres no reason to use a 20 inch barrel, and by the time you stick a brake on it you got a lotta weight to deal with....these large frame ar's get heavy real fast if you don't watch what your doing.....you are not going to lose an fps that amounts to anything ....a shorter barrel is a stiffer barrel, and will be lighter  too...so if you hunt its not a boat anchor to hump.....so rethink that 20....I guess if you bench shoot it and punch paper off of sandbags you might could justify the 20.....NOT    :laffs:check out a QPQ finished barrel cause black is beautiful....and mostly only the  metrosexuals go with stainless finished barrels    :thumbup:    Wash

7 hours ago, eward4 said:

I agree. Thanks for the input. Any recommendation on a brand? I'm looking at Ballistic Advantage but open to any suggestions.

EW   BA is good Faxon is good... Criterion is great....and I will tell ya one thing I learned just recently...and I saw it with my own eyes....Me and my Friend built up 3or 4 300 blackouts not long ago....My barrels just whatever I could get a deal on....his barrels were all match grade...all rifles had nice triggers...so we went to the range to break em in...I had like 4 different types of ammo...well side by side his match barrels that were new just like mine would shoot under moa at 100...and mine would be acceptable...but when we found the ammo that his barrels liked he would put one hole thru the other...I am now sold on match grade barrels...im not talking heavy profile bull barrels...just a nice profile that's a match grade....you will be happy...  Check out the Faxon gunner series they might be match grade?     :thumbup:   Wash

My buddy has got one of these...it shoots lights out   https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-match-308-intermediate-dpms-barrel-gen-2-16/

you can be metrosexual with a satin barrel if you put one hole thru the other !     Oh most 16" barrels run a lil over 2 lbs  or a lil under

Edited by washguy

I strongly suggest a Criterion Barrel... one of the Hybrid Nitrated SS ones.

Ultimately, it will pay for itself, and bring you far more happiness... given the cost of ammo, every shot can be about a buck with match ammo... and a miss or poor group can quickly add up dollar wise.

In this day and age, barrel cost is tiny compared to the life of that barrel... you will spend far more on ammo. ( especially if you shoot a lot )

Lap / true your upper receiver face while you are at it... I also strongly believe that to be worth every penny.

3 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

I strongly suggest a Criterion Barrel...

3 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

Lap / true your upper receiver face while you are at it... I also strongly believe that to be worth every penny.

I agree on both counts. Used an 18 inch rifle gas on a build for my Brother-in-law and it shoots lights out. For what the tool costs and the time involved lapping is a no brainier.

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I agree on both counts. Used an 18 inch rifle gas on a build for my Brother-in-law and it shoots lights out. For what the tool costs and the time involved lapping is a no brainier.

I just installed a DSG Arms ( aka Ballistic Advantage ? ) 22" .936GB on a PSA upper, and lapped it in and Loctite 609 it in... I hope it shoots well ! Going to go tomorrow... the barrel was $200 delivered, 4th July sale.