• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Martial arts / self-defense training

Madhouse

I was wondering if there is anyone else here who trains?  I've been in various martial arts for 25 years.  I have a black belt in karate and ju-jitsu and a brown belt in Okinawan kempo.

Lately we've been working on some interesting stuff.  We've been doing fight drills from on the ground on our backs, and we brought some folding chairs in and did some drills from fighting our way out of a chair or a restaurant booth.  There are some very specific challenges from a seated position!

We also do a lot of drills with knives (both defensive and offensive), and some pistol defenses.  We work on defeating different pistol actions if we're within range to do so.  90% of our teaching staff are also licensed to carry and we are a very pro-gun school.

Anyway, just dropping it out here.  If there's any interest, let's get some discussion up on this.

<thumbsup>

I'm very interested! I've had very minimal training (breaking common holds, breaking chokes, etc. etc..) but never got heavily involved because of the cost. Now that I could probably afford it, my schedule is the primary obstacle. I'd love to have somebody to spar with and have informal lessons though.

Be real careful selecting a place to train.  You'll find junk-ass schools that teach you nothing and charge you out the a-hole.  You'll find schools full of UFC frenzy-fed dipshits who think they can kill someone with a superman punch.

I've been at my current school for 13 years.  We train in everything realistic, and incorporate all kinds of weapons, offensively and defensively.  We also train in anatomy, and ways to defeat body systems (skeletal, respiratory, vascular, central nervous, ...).

I did some martial arts as a kid.  Some was practical some...not so much.  I fell out of it in my mid teens but got into boxing in my late teens.  That wasn't so much good fight training as it was a kick-ass workout!  I lost 45lbs in a very short amount of time while I was boxing.

Lately an Army Ranger vet was living in my AO who had been a combatives instructor for Ranger Batt.  He and his wife (who was pretty good at H2H in her own right) would come over to visit and my room mates and I would get a free H2H lesson!  He was a great teacher and the only reason that we stopped is because the guy moved several hours away.  I'm in kind of a remote place right now so I'm struggling to find any H2H teachers.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately an Army Ranger vet was living in my AO who had been a combatives instructor for Ranger Batt.  He and his wife (who was pretty good at H2H in her own right) would come over to visit and my room mates and I would get a free H2H lesson!  He was a great teacher and the only reason that we stopped is because the guy moved several hours away.  I'm in kind of a remote place right now so I'm struggling to find any H2H teachers.

That's some of the best you're gonna get, as far as the real stuff.  Don't know what Bn the guy was from, but the primary Jiu-Jitsu trainer (in the early days of serious H2H) for 2nd RGR Bn was Marcelo Alonso.  What a badass.  That's 165lbs of 5'10" that you DON'T want to find in a dark alley, whether you've got friends with you or not.  His favorite phrase when teaching classes - he has two methods, one for "defense classes" then the stuff for the mil classes.  In the defense classes for everyone, he'd stop himself in the training, with submission moves, for protection.  In those classes, when he stopped the maneuvers at what would be a submission, he'd kinda chuckle and say "different games, different games..."

In the mil classes, he didn't stop.  Way beyond submission moves - "permanent stop" moves.  You could be a gang of dozens - don't try to take him on in any alley.  Your ass would be kicked, all y'all.  :o

• 6 months later...

For basic KISS stuff the new "Army Combatives" is pretty simple if only they would put some of the old stuff back in it in later levels. I also liked Aikido. I have wanted to get back in to it but haven't managed to make the time. I found that the biggest take away from it when I was much younger was the ability to remain calm in situations that left others tight and soon to be worn out.

I haven't done much H2H compared to some but have always been good at retaining and applying different techniques... Good understanding of movement and body mechanics helps. I've seen people  bad mouth all Martial Arts just because THEY couldn't make it work. All they needed to learn was to LET it work.

My 02c anyway...