• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dusting it off. Time to build it.

Whiskeyfish

On 12/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, Whiskeyfish said:

By the way, what's the deal with not having the ability to edit my above? In three minutes I get locked out? WTF over!!!

Preserves the postings.  Several years ago, someone started a ruckus, then edited out all the stuff they'd originally said.  That ended the editing function, except during that small window to fix typos, etc...

2 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

Happy New Year to ME.  :thumbup:

Now I'm chasing tail of a 6.5G

Right on.  :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

Yesterday was my first opportunity to get out to the range with my build. After a good coating of lube. I sent a Fed SMK down range, and was surprised. Very tame recoil. I attempted to send a second, and nothing. First shot, casing failed to eject. Thinking, new rifle, it's bound to have a quirk or too. I cleared the port, drove another home and fired. Same thing again, failed to eject. I figured things were tight tolerances, and dealt with what was happening. I fired 20 rounds, all FTE. I loaded a fresh mag and continued on. All 20 rounds (again) FTE. I thought about issues and causes. Considering I used the Armalite receiver extension, spring and buffer, and RL gas tube, I felt confident that was not the issue. I immediately considered the issue to be the SLR RW Sentry 8. I adjusted from all the way closed and the bolt would not cycle, (I expected that) to 15 clicks all the way open. It made no difference. All I could get by adjusting was short-stroking.

At that point I decided it had to be one of two things causing it. The gas block is faulty, or the gas port in the WC barrel is too small. Guessing, my bet is on the latter.

The rifle shot great, otherwise, but I was very frustrated. I still am. BTW, I read through several threads 98Z5V in the FAQ, to see if I missed anything obvious during my build. I did not. So my conclusion is I need to check gas gas port size, and adjust the opening accordingly. Honestly, I thought this build was going to be problem free, short of breaking it in. I plan to do some checking. I'll post my findings.

Edited by Whiskeyfish
more info

4 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

Based on specs in the FAQ, port size should be close to 0.0960

I punched it out to 1/8". Will test at next opportunity.

Still way smaller the the Adj GB.

You will be adjusting down that gas block, in that diameter gas port... What was it before you drilled it up?  For 18" rifle-gas, that 0.875" gas block diameter has alot to do with it. If you're quoting the chart in the FAQ that I think you are, those numbers only cover 0.625" and 0.750" gas block diameters. You punched it to 0.125".

Max gas port diameter is 0.125", because that's the max size hole you can drill in a gas tube.  Nothing can ever go over 0.125", unless you're dealing with some serious custom-built-from-scratch stuff...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 6/26/2019 at 8:22 PM, 98Z5V said:

You will be adjusting down that gas block, in that diameter gas port... What was it before you drilled it up?  For 18" rifle-gas, that 0.875" gas block diameter has alot to do with it. If you're quoting the chart in the FAQ that I think you are, those numbers only cover 0.625" and 0.750" gas block diameters. You punched it to 0.125".

Max gas port diameter is 0.125", because that's the max size hole you can drill in a gas tube.  Nothing can ever go over 0.125", unless you're dealing with some serious custom-built-from-scratch stuff...   :thumbup:

I never measured the barrel port. I went based on port size of the GB itself, and what should be happening (eject/load to battery). The BCG was traveling half what was needed.

Given that and the GB was full open, and the fact the gas tube port was already larger than the port of the GB, drilling it out to 1/8 kept the flow significantly under. It works.

After, I opened the GB to #5. It fired, but FTE.

Opened to #7, all is well.

4 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

I never measured the barrel port. I went based on port size of the GB itself, and what should be happening (eject/load to battery). The BCG was traveling half what was needed.

Given that and the GB was full open, and the fact the gas tube port was already larger than the port of the GB, drilling it out to 1/8 kept the flow significantly under. It works.

After, I opened the GB to #5. It fired, but FTE.

Opened to #7, all is well.

Why didn't you run the gas block wide open from the very beginning, and test it?  You stated (in red above) that it was wide open.  Further down, you state that it fired on setting five, but you have to open it further to setting seven to get it to function... 

8 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

60 rounds down range. She runs like a well oiled sewing machine.

500 rounds of Hirtenberger (for break-in) on the way. Gotta save the good stuff for special occasions.

Heads up - that stuff is weak.  You might have to change your gas setting just to shoot it.  No kidding.