• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas block retaining pin trouble?

Str8shooter

I used to have issues with fighting with a gas block retaining pin.  Then a long time ago I thought why not use pliers instead of trying to pound a small pin in with a punch or find a special punch to hold it slightly?  So long story short, I took electrical tape to wrap the jaws of a pair of pliers to keep it smooth and leave no marks on the gas block and left a small tag hanging off where the pin could stick to it facing the hole.   A very small bit of oil at the hole helps it slide in also.  This seriously takes all of about a 30 sec to a minute to squeeze in.  I've shown friends this trick after they tell me they have been fighting with little burrs caused by trying to force the pin in with a hammer.  They sit there with there mouths hanging open and usually laugh and call me a couple choice expletives.  

I hope this makes sense.  If not let me know.

I assume we're talking about gas tube retaining pins.

I've had great luck with the stainless steel, coiled and chamfered roll pins I stumbled upon on eBay -- a pack of 12 sells for, like 5-6 bucks with free shipping. Bigger bags (24+) cost only slightly more.

Those pins, with a bench block designed for low-profile gas blocks (I picked up a PRI block, with punch, from DVOR for ~$10 a couple months ago) makes for short work. Good punches (roll pin holding punch, short-nose starter punch, and long-nose punch) make a world of difference, too. DVOR has a set of Grace USA punches that are of amazing quality.

Finally, using a wooden toothpick to keep the gas tube aligned is a huge help. I cut one in half, push the pointed end through until the cut end is almost flush, then cut it 1/8" or so from the block on the back side. Leaves a great "slave pin", and I can re-use what's left of that half of the toothpick.

4 hours ago, Str8shooter said:

I used to have issues with fighting with a gas block retaining pin.  Then a long time ago I thought why not use pliers instead of trying to pound a small pin in with a punch or find a special punch to hold it slightly?  So long story short, I took electrical tape to wrap the jaws of a pair of pliers to keep it smooth and leave no marks on the gas block and left a small tag hanging off where the pin could stick to it facing the hole.   A very small bit of oil at the hole helps it slide in also.  This seriously takes all of about a 30 sec to a minute to squeeze in.  I've shown friends this trick after they tell me they have been fighting with little burrs caused by trying to force the pin in with a hammer.  They sit there with there mouths hanging open and usually laugh and call me a couple choice expletives.  

It is fake news and never happened until you post pictures of the "alleged" So called process/tool.  That is the site rule #4.02.

4 hours ago, Str8shooter said:

See rule note on next quote.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

It is fake news and never happened until you post pictures of the "alleged" So called process/tool.  That is the site rule #4.02.

Lol.  I never thought to take pictures while doing the last one but I suppose I can make a mock up for you if interested.. 

3 hours ago, COBrien said:

I assume we're talking about gas tube retaining pins.

I've had great luck with the stainless steel, coiled and chamfered roll pins I stumbled upon on eBay -- a pack of 12 sells for, like 5-6 bucks with free shipping. Bigger bags (24+) cost only slightly more.

Those pins, with a bench block designed for low-profile gas blocks (I picked up a PRI block, with punch, from DVOR for ~$10 a couple months ago) makes for short work. Good punches (roll pin holding punch, short-nose starter punch, and long-nose punch) make a world of difference, too. DVOR has a set of Grace USA punches that are of amazing quality.

Finally, using a wooden toothpick to keep the gas tube aligned is a huge help. I cut one in half, push the pointed end through until the cut end is almost flush, then cut it 1/8" or so from the block on the back side. Leaves a great "slave pin", and I can re-use what's left of that half of the toothpick.

Yes the gas tube retaining pin.  I didn't want to buy more punch's and jigs.  I'm cheap like that..?I do the toothpick hold also.  

I've got a poop load of electrical tape to make the pliers smooth and non-marring and always have a pliers or leatherman handy.  

Okay since you put it that way....unless there is any member objections we will let you slide, not out  of pity,but because there is possible value in your idea. I hope you realize I am having trouble keeping a straight face. WELCOME to the best AR308 site ever!

Carry on I will be in the area until 1600 when I draw my rations of cookies and milk.

Edited by mrmackc

3 hours ago, mrmackc said:

I like that, Mack - very well done!  :thumbup::hail:

Combine that one with Lesson 65B, and The Rule, and it's a work of art!   :laffs:

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

Okay since you put it that way....unless there is any member objections we will let you slide, not out  of pity,but because there is possible value in your idea. I hope you realize I am having trouble keeping a straight face. WELCOME to the best AR308 site ever!

Carry on I will be in the area until 1600 when I draw my rations of cookies and milk.

LOL  I can't tell if you're busting my balls or serious.  Now I'm gonna have to slap a pin in a spare gas block tommorrow.  :pics-stfu:lmao