• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas key compatibility

OldGregg

So i was thinking of installing the POF roller cam in my build I'm currently doing. I saw that there is a kit for the AR15 that includes the modified gas key so that the key doesn't need to be removed every time you want to remove your bolt for cleaning. I've been searching online and cant seem to find any resources on the subject, I know the cam would have to be 308 specific but was wondering if the AR15 and AR10 gas keys are cross compatible. 

3 hours ago, OldGregg said:

but was wondering if the AR15 and AR10 gas keys are cross compatible. 

The gas keys are identical.

But, please explain more about removing the gas key so you can (take out the cam pin?) remove your bolt for cleaning?

I've never had to remove a gas key to take out a bolt, so I don't understand what you're talking about... 

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I've never had to remove a gas key to take out a bolt, so I don't understand what you're talking about... 

It’s a POF roller cam thing for the AR-15 DI version since it is originally designed for their piston system.

https://pof-usa.com/product/roller-cam-pin-upgrade-kit/

Pretty sure the 308 version doesn’t need the new gas key.

That's just a radius cut in the gas key body.   This roller cam pin looks like a waste - I always thought the roller was in the stem, so it locked and unlocked a little more smoothly.  That thing just rolls on the inside of the upper receiver (charging handle channel).  That a crock.  It only "rolls" against the upper when the bolt is fully extended - and when the bolt is fully extended, it's under no pressure.  What a bunch of shiit...  

What gets me is this thing is a gimmick - it's a solution, looking for a problem.  I've heard about it for years, but I've never even looked into them before @jtallen83 posted that link, and there was an animation in there on what it does. It offers no benefit, in any way...   That's my $0.02 on the thing.  If the roller was on the body of the cam pin ( I thought it was) it would smooth the locking and unlocking of the bolt, into the extension, and reduce the need to "slide" in the BCG body..  This thing doesn't do anything but (possibly) roll up the left side of the receiver when the bolt is under zero pressure.

Never understood how this roller thingy became so popular. Unless I just don’t understand how the system works I would think that if the cam pin is dragging you have something seriously out of spec. I can’t count the number of times I have read posts on various forums with people gushing over how much smoother their AR functions with the roller cam pin so maybe I don’t have a clue............maybe.