• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bad 80% Lower Reciever from MAS Defensive

Grizz

I  have had a disappointing bout with a company by the name of "MAS Defense". I purchased 2 ea 80% lower receivers with the understanding they would work with DPMS type uppers. They in fact do not work. By the time you have the trigger pocket taken out to the proper dimensions. You then learn the radius by the buffer tube is propitiatory to this company. Only their upper receivers will fit the lower without extensive work on the radius.

If they are able to have the pivot pin and closing pin in the proper place and correctly sized. The magazine well is finished to SR 25 magazines as well as AR 10 mags. Buffer Tube is threaded properly and has the correct location for the buffer stop pin. The only issue is the radius at the buffer where the 2 haves come together. This is purposeful so you must purchase their upper as well. 

After the pocket is opened up it is not possible to return them to the company. They will not allow you to send them back in any form with or without serial numbers. 

I have taken these around to the local gun shops and tried these lowers on all AR 10 units available. These lowers will not fit anything that is available which is an extensive list. 

They will offer to sell you their upper receiver as a remedy however the price is the same as you will pay for proper lower receivers. They do not have a warning of any kind on their add. 

Just be forewarned and take heed.

I certainly understand the fact that it is now a firearm. However they should have either a warning that they may not fit DPMS style due to the radius. Or let you know you must purchase their Upper Receiver to fit their Lower Receiver. This would allow a person to determine if they wish to purchase or not.

26 minutes ago, Grizz said:

I certainly understand the fact that it is now a firearm. However they should have either a warning that they may not fit DPMS style due to the radius. Or let you know you must purchase their Upper Receiver to fit their Lower Receiver. This would allow a person to determine if they wish to purchase or not.

Hell, they don't have a warning -- they have exactly the opposite. I'd be hard pressed not to demand a full refund on the completed lower, and a return and refund on the untouched lower...

MAS Defense Website.jpg

6 hours ago, COBrien said:

Hell, they don't have a warning -- they have exactly the opposite. I'd be hard pressed not to demand a full refund on the completed lower, and a return and refund on the untouched lower...

MAS Defense Website.jpg

In their defense - they're obviously one of those companies that don't know what they're talking about, and it's pretty jacked advertising... They clearly state "AR-10 80% forged lower receiver (DPMS) - annodized black" - I stay away from companies that can't properly identify an item they're selling.  "AR-10" and "DPMS" never belong in the same description...  That's just a company that doesn't know what they're doing, and can't properly advertise it worth a shiit...

I remember picking up an Colt LE901 lower really cheap.Trying to find an upper in Canada proved almost impossible and most dealers thought AR-10/308AR interchangeable.

I actually put together a quick blurb with basic info that I started sending along with my inquiries.

On the plus side I found myself here where I find myself feeling like the oil change kid  getting to hang out in a F1 garage learning lots and in time hoping to give back.

1 minute ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

and most dealers thought AR-10/308AR interchangeable.

Most dealers and even - should I SAY IT?! - GUNSMITHS - don't know the difference...  We've seen it here so many times.  "I went to my GUNSMITH and he said this is the right gas tube!..."

Yeah, well - you had him build your upper on all the fancy "complicated" parts he sells - and he obviously put a DPMS LR-308 (or just an AR-15) gas tube in your gun that was drilled for an Armalite AR-10 gas tube - you have the wrong one...  Swap it. 

Then the guys come back and say, "My dealer/'smith didn't even know there was a difference between the two..."

Yeah, we know.  Brother, we've literally, no joke, seen it all here.  Until another company comes up with "their next great idea."  It's always fun to figure out what they fucked up along the way, in the "new revolutionary" whatever it is, that they're making...  That doesn't work... 

I'm going to throw this out there, just cause.... 

So we have determined the said company sucks balls and really shat with customer service or support. 

Now you're stuck with a lower that started as a "project" that you wanted to build. 

If you already have an upper, why don't you work the lower to make it fit properly? What would need to be worked? How much?