• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Comparability with Mega Arms

Robocop1051

Not sure what you are asking ?

You can have any barrel made in that caliber , in just about any form ya want .

Is there some thing different with there piston system ?

If your asking if it will function , as long as the barrels gas hole is sufficient to do what it supposed to do , should have no problems .

We both know this is a new caliber (some what ) & the proper set up is there some where for  this caliber, for piston operation.

Can we say, adj. gas regulator .

I read my OP and I even confused myself, let me try this again.

I'm at a point in my Mega Arms AR15 build where I need to decide on a caliber. I was planning on building a 5.56 using a 14.5" bbl with a mid piston system and a v1.5 Battlecomp.

Now I'm thinking of a 300 blk... I want to keep the 16" OAL. I realize the v1.5 would have to be swapped with a much larger BABC. That means I can cut a little bit more off the barrel to keep that 16" OAL.

So now my question is: Do you think there's enough gas in the 300 AAC Blackout to cut the barrel to about 13.9" and keep the mid piston system?

I realize the "safe" route would be to use a carbine system... But that would defeat the purpose of being part of this forum! 8)

This is all going to be guessing, because the only 300BLK I've built so far is DI and has an 18" barrel and carbine gas system, but from what I've seen, I think the carbine gas system is your best bet if you want to be able to shoot all of the different weight bullets out of it, from the 110 AMax up to the 220 subsonics. I have read where people have had problems getting the big subsonics to cycle in some of the shorter guns. My barrel maker told me that he could tailor the barrel to shoot almost any weight bullet I wanted, by adjusting the size of the gas port in the barrel slightly, but once you do that you've limited yourself as to what your going to want to shoot out of it. If it were my build I'd definitely go carbine gas system. My 18" 300BLK has noticeably less recoil than my 14.5" mid length 5.56 gun, but I attribute that to the lightened BCG and adjustable gas block.  I also realize that all this info comes from DI guns and your piston operating system will most likely act differently. If your having a barrel made for this build, why don't you just ask your barrel maker and go with his recommendation? I know if I had to do it without the input of someone that had already built one, I'd opt for the shorter system just to be sure i had a gun that would function reliably.

Damn it all.

Now I'm even more tempted to do it. I think I read somewhere that ADCO will pin your gas block hole and relocate it. If that's true, in thinking about trying my first idea... If it doesn't work, I'll pin the mid length hole and change it to a carbine length DI.

My wife is going to kill me

If you want explore uncharted territory, You have to be prepared to take some risks, and maybe replace a few parts from time to time. That's the price of admission when you want to lead the way vs copying what others have already proven out. Look at it this way, when some member down the road asks if it's possible to build a short barreled piston operated midlength gas system 300BLK, You'll be able to answer the question from first hand experience. Who knows, it might turn out to be the sweet setup that gives you the best performance with the lowest recoil. I for one will be very interested to hear if you find it to be at all ammo sensitive. Good luck with it.

I'm hoping that a 300blk build will scratch an itch I have to build a 7.62x39...

Kinda nice throwing out a .30 cal. bullet from an AR platform & not having the problems of a weak bolt or mags that don't work.

So you want to keep it a total of 16" . I would stay with the carbine gas system , as Jgun said , you can shoot any bullet combo out there with it.

Smith Enterprises makes a long & short .30 brake ( this short one & is on my 16" 300BLK & its 2 1/8 " w/nut ) .

The gas system hole for a piston may not be different .

You can call different bbl. manufacturers to see what they have done , that way you won't have to guess or experiment .

post-154-136297268374_thumb.jpg

You know, we often decide to build a certain thing, car, motorcycle, gun or something else, going with a configuration that might be described as less than ideal. If your making a tool you want the most efficient, least complex, least expensive to make and operate system, but when building these things, sometimes we're driven be other factors, the need to make something unique, or maybe the challenge of making something work that others say is not possible. Now, we all know that the 5.56 setups have pretty much all been covered by now, it would be hard to come up with something that hasn't been tried. But, with the other cartridges you get the pleasure of experimenting somewhat, if that  appeals to you.

That being said, you have to know that the advantages of the 300BLK over the 7.62X39 really make it the logical choice. The only reasons I can think of for going with the AK rd might be the availability of surplus ammo, and possibly the gratification of being the only one at the range shooting a 7.62X39 AR. If you choose to go that route you just need to be willing to deal with the possible inherent problems with the conversion that Survivalshop mentioned, along with the fact(if I'm not mistaken) that you don't get as many rds in your mag with an AK cal AR.

SS have you had any cycling issues with the subsonic ammo as I have with my 16 carbine gas system? I have some of the CMMG 147gr , but I have not had time to go to the range. Hopefully that tril will be coming soon.

I have not loaded or shot any subsonic ammo & don't intend to .

Don't plan on any suppressed weapons or the ammo that they shoot .

I like the noise & I ware hearing protection. <thumbsup>