• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

An A Series which is actually a B Series?

Wayne B

How would you explain an A Series which is, by all visual indications actually a B Series?

The owner clams his rifle in an AR-10(T) Navy Carbine

There is no (T) marking on the receiver, and I do not know what the Navy has to do with it. Could this have been part of a special production run for the Navy?

AR-10 A4 US 5XXXX (A series SNs are said to begin with an A, for example A000001)

It has an early fiberglass Handguard with the fluted ring at the rear and a SS Barrel and Muzzle Brake (both are magnetic) with three angled slots on each side. Is this an aftermarket Brake?

There is no Forward Assist

There is no vertical recessed portion on the left side of the magazine well.

The angle at the bottom of the Mag well seems to be less than that shown in images of A Series Lowers.

It has B Series Mag Well Cuts as shown in an ArmaLite video.

The Bolt Stop is wide, as in B Series.

The Magazine Catch boss appears square as B Series (Not rounded at end).

An ArmaLite agent told the owner that he needed to purchase a special Bolt Stop if he wanted to use their new GEN II Magazines.

New GEN II Magazines fit and lock in. Early ArmaLite waffle magazines do not. Nor do SR-25 Magazines. I haven’t been able to test fire the rifle to check function with these new Magazines.

This new Bolt Stop is narrower than the existing Bolt Stop which appears to be for a B Series rifle. According to the paperwork it is an AR-10 Bolt Stop Replacement Kit PN: EA6075 $18.75. (This is engraved AR-10A, which doesn’t seem right). The original is wider, and looks like one for the B Series.

Just from what you have described... this is an early "B" version.

No forward assist. 

The bolt stop was shorter due to the converted M14 magazines had a spring loaded plunger in the follower to trip the bolt stop. So it would need a newer one to use the GEN II mags.

Tech Note 66

Tech note 71

On that year, the muzzle brakes were pinned on due to the "assault weapon ban" at the time. Most likely it might have two (2) cross pins OR is pinned and welded at the 6 o'clock position. If it is, you will see a small circle that has been blended into the brake itself to hide the pinning. 

If you have pictures, I might be able to tell you more about it, with the exception of the year made. 

Edited by mrraley

Mrraley, I thank you for taking the time to assist me.

So, It really is a B series, in spite of the A in the serial number (AR-10 A4 US).

The Bolt Stop is incorrect for the new GEN II Magazines.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

What about the Magazine Catch? The boss on this one appears square as B Series (Not rounded at end).

1 hour ago, Wayne B said:

So, It really is a B series, in spite of the A in the serial number (AR-10 A4 US).

The Bolt Stop is incorrect for the new GEN II Magazines.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

What about the Magazine Catch? The boss on this one appears square as B Series (Not rounded at end).

Yes it is a "B" series. (AR-10 A4)

AR -  Armalite

10  -  Refers to the size (could have been .308/7.62, .243, .300 RSUM)

A4 - usually meant it was a flat top with a collapsible butt stock. 

The mag catch is perfectly fine for the M14 and the Gen II mags.

The current bolt stop might not work properly with the Gen II mags, but it will work fine with the M14 converted mags.

I will check when I get home to see if I have another newer AR10 bolt stop you could swap out real easy. 

Yes, I am interested in your Bolt Stop. What do you want for it Do you have any other treasures you might be willing to part with?

Regarding this pressed-on Muzzle Brake, any suggestions on removing it?

Could anyone tell me any tips on removing an early ArmaLite AR-10 fiberglass Hand guard? I heard somewhere that there was a left hand thread involved.