• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Take down and Pivot Pin diameter

Right&Duty

I decided after experiencing the ease of putting together ar15's that I would foray in to the ar10 world.

I know, I know, what was I thinking?

Well most of it is now sorted out except take down and pivot pins.

My holes on the lower and upper are 9/32" (.281) The pins that came with the lower kit are .270.

I have searched far and wide for a set of 9/32" pins but MOST of the vendors seem to ignore the diameter in their specs page.

The ones I have called have assured me that their pins are.281 but when pressed to go measure them are not 9/32"

Can anyone direct me to a place I can buy the .281 inch pins?

Thank you, and I mean Thank you !!!!!

As each vender is different, and not all pins or holes come out the same... unless you find a tech in a service and repair department that would actually stop his day to physically check a set of pins, it's going to be a crap shoot.

Something that I might suggest is... call someplace like ArmaLite and tell them you would like a set of NM (national match) pins for your .308 rifle. The ArmaLite NM pins  are oversized usually mic out around .277 - .291. 

I know, I know... that .014 can mean a lot sometimes. But off the top of my head this is as close as I can get ya.

4 hours ago, Right&Duty said:

It would be best to state what receivers you have.  Chances are, if anyone here has used those receivers before, we've already sorted this out...  :thumbup:

This quote from @mrraley is right on the money, too.

As each vender is different, and not all pins or holes come out the same...

Edited by 98Z5V

There are also different length pins being used depending on who did your lower.  I ran into they WAY before finding this site and have some spares left over that weren't long enough.  WAY back when I built my first 308 AR's I measured the pins but don't remember the details, bad cases of CRS these days.  I do know that pin diameter wasn't an issue with any of them, just pin length on at least one of the builds I did back then........Cliff

On 11/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, Right&Duty said:

I decided after experiencing the ease of putting together ar15's that I would foray in to the ar10 world.

I know, I know, what was I thinking?

My holes on the lower and upper are 9/32" (.281) The pins that came with the lower kit are .270.

I have searched far and wide for a set of 9/32" pins but MOST of the vendors seem to ignore the diameter in their specs page.

The ones I have called have assured me that their pins are.281 but when pressed to go measure them are not 9/32"

Can anyone direct me to a place I can buy the .281 inch pins?

Thank you, and I mean Thank you !!!!!

Well tired of looking so I sourced some 9/32" tool steel and made my own. Cut to length, drilled and tapped each end for 6-32 and good to go. Just a tiny bit of play between the upper and lower now.

Good news.  Any pics of how they look after assembly?

I was ready to do the same thing with one of my builds but was able to locate the correct length pins in the right diameter plus I don't have an effective way to "black" them other than paint or a magic marker.......Cliff

• 3 years later...

Am dealing with a similar issue with trying to locate a set of pins for a PSA PX-10 build I have been working on. Have spoke to several mfg's, made orders only to find that they are all either to big, to short, or to long. PSA has not helped, and now they have discontinued the PX-10 in their .308 AR 10 lineup, so nothing from them. I have micro'd out both pin holes and lengths straight off the Lower, and have tried shopping using spec's. That has proved to be just as useless.

My last option is to use a set of the longer and wider replacement pin sets I have received, and find a local machine shop. My hope is that I can give them the specs i need, and have them lathe cut the ones I give them down to size to fit my PX 10. 

Once I know they fit, I will ask for 2 more sets (just in case), and then have them all Cerakoted, and that should do the trick. This AR 10 .308 build has been a real pain in the butt. It has also been one heck of learning experience as a novice coming into this.