• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best Ar308 for my bucks

Jaywats01

Cool chit there Magwa.....nice job!

The area I hunt in Colorado is so thick 80 yards would be a LONG shot!  I still take my 308 AR instead of my 450 Bushmaster  (much lighter) or one of my 45/70 Marlin's because there is a remote chance I might get a really long shot on one and I don't want to be throwing mortars at him.

I'd really like to try another area.  We were locked in for quite a few years in the Gunisson area and long shots were common, then lost our ride (Outfitter retired and son took over.  He wanted to "modernize" the business so basically going to charge us 5 times as much for the same thing).  This new area is Public hunting land and so thick it's like being in the jungles of SE Asia, you'll smell more Elk than you will ever see.....Cliff

Edited by Cliff R

On 11/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, COBrien said:

But I (personally, and most certainly not on behalf of the mods/admins at 308AR.com) will continue to discourage folks from spending hard-earned money on a PA-10 until PSA gets their sh¡t together.

I have to agree with this. Yeah, they sell a very well priced rifle but no matter what you pay for it you should have a reasonable expectation of receiving a properly working product! Some purchasers have gotten lucky, but from what we've seen on the forum here there have been more misses than hits.

PSA puts out really good AR-15 parts and guns and I've bought both from them but they seem to be dropping the ball on the AR 308 line and they don't seem to be too worried about correcting it. They've been in the AR 308 game for a few years now (plenty of time to get things right) but they're still putting out some crappy stuff.

I'll continue to use them for AR=15 related stuff but there's a lot of better options for AR 308 stuff.

+2

PSA offers decent AR-15's but they have been pushing the "low end" rifles and parts pretty hard in the past couple of years, low price/high volume sales has pretty much become the main stay for them.  I grabbed up some of their low cost complete uppers with the nitride barrels and a couple with stainless barrels.  They run fine but none of them meet my criteria in the long range accuracy department.  They just do OK and would be fine if you are just plinking around, but certainly nothing to spend a lot of money on for optics and accessories to make a varmint rifle out of....IMHO.

They obviously didn't put a lot of effort into the PA-10 and it appears they tried to come in under the current market prices to get higher volume sales instead of producing a better product.

They also spent some time with the AR-47.  I bought one of the early offerings and it showed up with the wrong firing pin in it.  The pin was too short and didn't hit the hard imported ammo primers hard enough to run well.  I modified the pin in my lathe to get it to work well and notified them.  Without any grumbling they very quickly sent me the correct pin and good to go.  So customer service went well, but I'm not sure how they are handling the PA-10 issues, and their seems to be a lot of them.......Cliff

If you are in a hurry, don’t expect to get a good accurate rifle for $700. Unless you win the “PSA 308AR official Lottery”  and get one of the rare ones that works and has acceptable accuracy. The other thing you might do is watch for liquidations. When Wal Mart discontinued black rifles, they were selling DPMS Oracles fo $638.  When Armalite changed hands CDNN had AR10’s as low as $999 and their target AR10T for $1299. More then $700, but back then it was a $2200 rifle, and worth every penny.  So you can sit on the sideline looking for deals, or bring your budget up a bit, and enjoy shooting it rather then waiting.