• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magazine catches

Anderson3754

I'm on my third build, and was part and party to 2 other builds. The problem I/we have run into is with the mag catches.Their too short in width to properly lock the mag in place securely. This requires me to tig weld the locking tab, and re-profile it for proper mag lockup and release.

Is there a source for mag catches that fit and work properly, or oversize for me to hand fit. The receivers in question are Aero Precision 308 Lowers.

Regards
Anderson3754

4 hours ago, Anderson3754 said:

Thankyou... that is a valuable piece of info. The 10A assemble is what I'll be purchasing this week.

Regards

Well it looks like the only way to obtain this mag catch is to purchase the AR 10A lower parts kit, less the ignition parts for $56.00. The Mag Catch individually are out of stock and it is not clear if pt# EA6080 is for the 10A or 10B or might it be the same for either 10A or 10B ???

Edited by Anderson3754

10 hours ago, Anderson3754 said:

The receivers in question are Aero Precision 308 Lowers.

Regards
Anderson3754

I've never, ever had an issue with the AP mag catch, in AP M5 receivers.  Ever.  I'm up to about 5 of them now.  Never an issue.

Specific pictures of the issue you're having would be beneficial to this discussion.

Pictures will be tough for me, but let me see if I can get my daughter to help get this accomplished. You made mention to the AP mag catch ( Aero Precision)  mine are of unknown origin probably from AR15's .  The engagement of the pad into the mag slot is not wide enough to securely lockup the mag properly. The mags I have are ASC, D@H,and Pmags. The slightest touch of the mag release button will drop the mag onto the ground and if you grab the mag twist left and right as your pulling downward you can pull the mag right out. My solution is Tig welding the pad to a wider profile, file to the proper width and then i have positive lock up of the mag in the receiver.

Robocop1051

• The moose knuckle
  •  
  • Robocop1051
  • Promotions Director
  • staff.png
  •  
  • 9,079 posts
  • LocationNor-Cal

First and foremost, I want to thank MrRaley for assisting me in this project. No one here is a stranger to the quality of the Armalite rifles. I am forever in search of making sure I have taken advantage of all of the modern advances in the technology for the AR308. Armalite recently released the newer AR10A which is now able to use the Magpul LR20 PMAG. This huge undertaking is combined with the fact that Armalite is notorious for making .308 specific parts. Up to now my rifle has had the standard AR-15 magazine catch. Since Armalite was so gracious to release this new feature on the AR10A, I was extremely interested to see if this new part would; 1. work on my rifle, and 2. be a satisfactory upgrade to the commonly used part I already had.

After a bit of aid from MrRaley, and a short wait on the US Postal Service (I was also delayed by the opening weekend of buck season), I finally had my package in my mailbox. I instantly recognized the AR10A magazine catch from all the pictures I had seen online.

As quickly as I opened my mail, I had my AR15 magazine catch out to compare parts. The differences were immediately present to me.

4BBE3DEA-BFFE-4BC7-8435-DF11116C6A43-1213-000002941E1AFA39.JPG

First... The AR10A had a slightly longer post than the standard AR15. This equates to a longer range of motion. Next... I saw the "boss" (as is was described to me by MrRaley) was significantly larger on the AR10A part in comparison to the standard AR15 part.

AA6047BE-A93B-476B-B407-7037E18D8B5F-1213-0000029436F7515E.JPG

Last... The spring was exponentially stronger and longer on the AR10A part versus the AR15 part.

EA481F81-DAC1-4623-868F-40A507F7592B-1213-000002942CA01A26.JPG

Assembly was just as simple as any other magazine catch. The combination of the three examples above made for a very strong and deep contact on the Magpul LR20 PMAG.

Unfortunately the pictures will never be able to show you how firm and solid this new mag catch works. I can honestly say I am pleased with the new part. Its functions and installs perfectly. The solid and distinct sound of the magazine seating into the magwell was reassuring to say the least. There is no worry that weight of the magazine, combined with the power of the bolt slamming over the top, is going to unseat my magazine.

I fully stand behind this as an upgrade to the DPMS/KAC versions of the 308AR rifles. Armalite has proven to me once again why they have been able to weather the years of clones and copies, always to remain the undisputed example of how it all started!

Thank you to Imschur and MrRaley for making this possible for me.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Sounds like your Lower Receiver is out of Spec . Fixing it is still going to give you other issues , you can extend the Threads & trim ( if needed ) the Catch Threaded shaft , so the Release Button can be threaded in more on the shaft, to keep the Mag Catch with in its operational parameters , but this will also make it more difficult to insert a Mag. with out depressing the Mag release Button , to do so.

You should not have to depress the Mag release Button in farther then flush with the receiver .

You may be able to make the ramp on the Mag Catch steeper , so as to allow the magazine to slip in a little easier . If you look at the Mag Catch , it will have a lead into the Pad itself to help with inserting the mag.

The AR 10 ( Armalite ) Mag Catch has a longer Shaft & a larger Pad area , compared to the DPMS LR308, I believe its the "B " model Catch . Not sure it will help your situation . It sounds like Your Receiver width or the Mag Catch well is to short .

How about some Photo's .Take some measurements & I will take some off one of my DPMS Lowers & Mag Catches . I also have a AR 10 Mag Catch as you can see

42 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Try calling Armalite for the part. 

Yes.. that is my plan for tomorrow. I made a check of the popular LR 308 parts suppliers and their either out of LR mag catches or they list the part as AR15/Ar10 which would be what I have. The LR frames sure have there build problems, again thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Regards

7 minutes ago, Anderson3754 said:

Yes.. that is my plan for tomorrow. I made a check of the popular LR 308 parts suppliers and their either out of LR mag catches or they list the part as AR15/Ar10 which would be what I have. The LR frames sure have there build problems, again thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Regards

Try this instead of spending money on more parts...   Look below vvv...

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Thread it in farther...   You don't have it threaded in enough, and that's causing your problem...

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Thread it in farther...   You don't have it threaded in enough, and that's causing your problem...

No, I have it threaded in correctly, along with a extended style button. The problem is in the width of the mag catch pad, the pad does not protrude deep enough into the magwell, to lock into the mag cutout deep enough. Now another way the problem can be fixed is to deepen the receiver slot so the mag catch can sit deeper into it's slot. This would give additional depth for the pad to lock into the mag. But..you would first have to measure the wall thickness to see if you have enough material to do that, then I would have to go over to my buddys house beg off on him to use his mill. The problem is in the pad, even if you use the extended button to gain more thread purchase, once you release the button the mag catch bottoms out in it's receiver slot.

Regards

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

My rifle was similar. I had the dang thing bottomed out, and I could still drop the mag by barely touching the release. The Armalite piece made just enough difference for me. The longer/stronger spring helped too. 

6 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

My rifle was similar. I had the dang thing bottomed out, and I could still drop the mag by barely touching the release. The Armalite piece made just enough difference for me. The longer/stronger spring helped too. 

Yes... I kinda have done the same, using a stronger spring, extended mag button, but for me, right now welding up that tab and then fitting it is the most correct way to resolve this problem. I looked for several hours online, this specific part is not readily available.  I will call Armalite today and see if I can obtain the 10A mag catch as an individual part. These LR308 rifles are a breed all onto themselves. This problem would almost go away if one of the parts manufactures would make this part and put it out on the market. Some are offering the longer threaded shaft, some offer the extended button, and the stronger spring is easy to change out, we just need a longer pad for positive lockup. I'll call Armalite today,  but It is always a daunting task  with them. 

Regards and a Merry Christmas

Edited by Anderson3754

7 hours ago, Anderson3754 said:

Yes... I kinda have done the same, using a stronger spring, extended mag button, but for me, right now welding up that tab and then fitting it is the most correct way to resolve this problem. I looked for several hours online, this specific part is not readily available.  I will call Armalite today and see if I can obtain the 10A mag catch as an individual part. These LR308 rifles are a breed all onto themselves. This problem would almost go away if one of the parts manufactures would make this part and put it out on the market. Some are offering the longer threaded shaft, some offer the extended button, and the stronger spring is easy to change out, we just need a longer pad for positive lockup. I'll call Armalite today,  but It is always a daunting task  with them. 

Regards and a Merry Christmas

Don't blame Areo perssision or a manufacturer.

You can buy the piece from Aero and you can get their parts at Primary arms.

14 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

Don't blame Areo perssision or a manufacturer.

You can buy the piece from Aero and you can get their parts at Primary arms.

Oh no, I like Areo Precision own 2 ,and have shot 2 others. I'll be buying another Areo Precision upper/lower set in the next 2 weeks or so.

So the Areo Precision mag catch's also works fine??  I have  bought stuff from Primary Arms I'll look today.

I did get through to Armalite after a few attempts, kind of a funny call. I ordered 2 -10A Mag Catches and 1- rifle length Gas Tube. The sales person did not know the price of the parts or what the shipping charges would be, but they would ship out on Thurs 12-26-19. I said thats Okay, and gave him my credit card info.

My reluctance to deal with Armalite goes back to the winter of 95-96 over the purchase of 4 Ar-10B's that became nothing but problems.

Regards

I'm back.... I did get an E-mail from Armalite, the amount total with shipping was $48.22, and a Fed Ex tracking number. I ordered 2 10A mag catches, less the spring and button along with a rifle length gas tube. Hopefully there will be a invoice in the package or via E-mail for the break down  of parts and shipping.

Regards

8 minutes ago, Merle said:

KAK makes an extended mag catch for 308 ARs. I have one in my MATEN. 

https://www.kakindustry.com/special-extended-mag-release-arm

Did you purchase the KAK one to solve a similar problem, or was it the one you put in on the build and works correctly ?

I was on the KAK site couple days ago looking at the heavy buffer options.