• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 clamshell receiver fixture

Anderson3754

I have an old clamshell setup for AR15s, and 10 years ago, I was searching for one for .308ARs.  The biggest problem is that the receivers are so different, so it's tough to make an all-around clamshell that would fit them all.  I switched over to Geissele Reaction Rods years ago, because of that.  They're far superior, but cost $$$ unless you catch a Geissele sale on them.  Brownells make a very similar product, and it's much cheaper in price. 

As 98 recommended, here's my view.

The Reaction Rod truly is the only way to go if you want to do it correctly and without stressing the upper.

I will say this, you get what you pay for.

I bought mine about 5 years ago and paid $150 if memory serves me correctly I didn't buy it directly from Geissele.

They want $199.00

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I have an old clamshell setup for AR15s, and 10 years ago, I was searching for one for .308ARs.  The biggest problem is that the receivers are so different, so it's tough to make an all-around clamshell that would fit them all.  I switched over to Geissele Reaction Rods years ago, because of that.  They're far superior, but cost $$$ unless you catch a Geissele sale on them.  Brownells make a very similar product, and it's much cheaper in price. 

Yes I do have reaction rods for the AR15 and the AR10 and just love them.  Never have regretted buying nice tools, just wondering if there was a clamshell version available for the LR's worth buying now.

Regards 

3 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

As 98 recommended, here's my view.

The Reaction Rod truly is the only way to go if you want to do it correctly and without stressing the upper.

I will say this, you get what you pay for.

I bought mine about 5 years ago and paid $150 if memory serves me correctly I didn't buy it directly from Geissele.

They want $199.00

Yes nice tools can be very expensive, quality tools to me are worth it. I get scared when I look at my tool box full of Snapon and Matco tools what they would cost in todays money.

Regards

3 hours ago, Anderson3754 said:

I get scared when I look at my tool box full of Snapon and Matco tools what they would cost in todays money.

I feel your pain, and I have all that frustration, too.  Tools and boxes, and if I could sell them for what I've paid for them, I could buy 5 new houses with land, maybe a small jet, rent nightly hookers...  I get it. 

Quality tools are worth the money, if your job is making money with those tools. 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I feel your pain, and I have all that frustration, too.  Tools and boxes, and if I could sell them for what I've paid for them, I could buy 5 new houses with land, maybe a small jet, rent nightly hookers...  I get it. 

Quality tools are worth the money, if your job is making money with those tools. 

I think you got me beat then in the tool dept, I made a quick cursory check, maybe 3 houses with land (40-60 acres)

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

No nightly hooker or a small jet, man?  Come on,..  you gotta sell those tools for what they're really worth...  :laffs:

OH  that would be a no no. I always have sellers remorse when I sell a gun, tools never sold any in my life. My guns,  my tools, and my Chevelle all go to my son. Ref the jet, I do not like flying. If I can't drive there I'm not going. Ref women, learned along time ago just to stay the h*ll away from them. 

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Crappy tools can break under stress and cause injuries. Quality tools are worth the money even if you don't make a living with them.

My dad used to say; "I don't have enough money to buy cheap tools".