• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lost AGB Adjustment Screw

dfrancis

I probably have 200 rounds or so through my PA-10.  It's run really well with all kinds of factory loaded .308 - everything from Tula to match ammo.  It didn't like white box Winchester 7.62 NATO but it didn't upset me too much - just kept running .308.  I've adjusted the gas block screw several times, but admittedly didn't close it all the way and work my way up like I should have.  

Recently I've started making my own hand loads.  I've yet to get them to run reliably in the gun, having FTF problems any time I load more than 1 in the magazine.  Today I was at the range and after making an adjustment to the AGB screw I fired another round, went back to adjust again and it was gone.  When I got it home and removed the handguard the spring was still in the hole but the screw is long gone. 

I have a couple of questions.  1) Will PSA still warranty it if I've changed out muzzle devices (just a standard brake).   2) What will happen if I run the gun without the screw?  Is it just essentially wide open at that point and the same as not having an adjustable gas block? Or is it just the opposite and won't send any gas back into the system without the screw? 3) Will PSA sell me one if I call and ask?  I'm calling tomorrow just thought I'd see what feedback you guys here have.  Thanks!

In hindsight, this is ironic - and has nothing to do with the OPs post here, but I have to mention it.

In the old days of all the screwed up PSA guns, everyone on the internet said that the gun needed an adjustable gas block, just becuase PSA screw up the recoil system and gas system SO BAD.  Back in THOSE DAYS, Good Old PSA said you'd void your "lifetime factory warranty" if you added an adjustable gas block to FIX what they sent out to you, as the buyer...

How ironic, that PSA guns come with adjustable gas blocks now...   :lmao:  They still haven't fixed the horrid gas systems or recoil systems...  they just include an adjustable gas block now, and they're putting the band-aid on the wrong cut...   :laffs:

My $0.02 on their .308AR guns...

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

In hindsight, this is ironic - and has nothing to do with the OPs post here, but I have to mention it.

In the old days of all the screwed up PSA guns, everyone on the internet said that the gun needed an adjustable gas block, just becuase PSA screw up the recoil system and gas system SO BAD.  Back in THOSE DAYS, Good Old PSA said you'd void your "lifetime factory warranty" if you added an adjustable gas block to FIX what they sent out to you, as the buyer...

How ironic, that PSA guns come with adjustable gas blocks now...   :lmao:  They still haven't fixed the horrid gas systems or recoil systems...  they just include an adjustable gas block now, and they're putting the band-aid on the wrong cut...   :laffs:

My $0.02 on their .308AR guns...

As I said in my original post I don't have a lot of rounds through it, but between it and my AR pistol that I built that was PSA I can say that the 5.56 pistol is much more reliable.  As in 1000 plus through the pipe with not a single failure.  I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.  I will say that I've been able to shoot some pretty good groups with the gun so as a whole I do like it - it runs great with factory ammo I just need to get my hand load recipe down.  Thanks for the reply!

29 minutes ago, dfrancis said:

but between it and my AR pistol that I built that was PSA I can say that the 5.56 pistol is much more reliable.  As in 1000 plus through the pipe with not a single failure.  I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.

You can't fuk a 5.56 gun up, because there's a mil-spec pattern to follow, and all these manufacturers know it.  Even PSA can't fuk up a 5.56 gun.  Nobody can fuk up a 5;56 gun, except CMMG.  You can't compare any PSA 5.56 gun that you have, and how well it's done for you in the past - to any PSA .308AR that you have.  That makes sense, right?  I hope so.

PSA is so tragically fucked up on .308AR guns that's it's not even funny.   There's SO MANY fixes to them that you need to make, that's it's almost a joke.  CMMG makes better .308AR guns than PSA does, and THAT is some strong irony, inside itself.  PSA .308ARs are a garbage heap, unless you put the time, and the modifications, into them, to even make them run in the first place.  What a shiit-heap of a .308AR, right there. 

There's not too many manufacturers that fuk a 5.56 gun up, so you can't even compare that - to the shiit-storm of bad .308AR parts and components that are out there. 

Good try, though.

Again I've had great luck running factory .308 ammo with no problem.  I do appreciate your response but by no means am I trashing PSA.  I lost the screw due to a combination of me loosening it too far (I think) and running non factory ammo.  I think PSA makes an outstanding product for the price point and respect what the company is all about.  That being said - I don't think it's fair to say that NOBODY can screw up a standard AR-15.  There are plenty of videos/threads out there with folks having problems.  Again - thanks for your feedback I'm glad I found this community and hopefully you can all help me through my problems to get this gun running well!

47 minutes ago, dfrancis said:

Again I've had great luck running factory .308 ammo with no problem.  I do appreciate your response but by no means am I trashing PSA.  I lost the screw due to a combination of me loosening it too far (I think) and running non factory ammo.  I think PSA makes an outstanding product for the price point and respect what the company is all about.  That being said - I don't think it's fair to say that NOBODY can screw up a standard AR-15.  There are plenty of videos/threads out there with folks having problems.  Again - thanks for your feedback I'm glad I found this community and hopefully you can all help me through my problems to get this gun running well!

Good luck.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, dfrancis said:

Again I've had great luck running factory .308 ammo with no problem.  I do appreciate your response but by no means am I trashing PSA.

You don't have to worry about giving the impression that you're trashing PSA. I'll handle trashing PSA for you, so you don't have to.

With the history they have here on this board, from he first iteration, all the way up to their "new and improved" Gen 3... and the performance that their .308ARs have given here, right here on this board...

You don't have to worry about a thing.  I'll handle all that for you.  PSA .308ARs SUCK.  Doesn't matter what generation it was, what "fixes" they said they did to them  - none of them were ever "fixed," because PSA can't figure out gas systems and recoil systems, and that fine balance between the two systems.

Not YOUR fault, man - you just bought a shiit-gun.  We can fix it,though.  We've been fixing these shiit-boxes for 5 or more years now, and making them run.

"Cheap gun" = "cheap parts".  The parts that they cheap out on you the most, to save money, are the parts that matter the most...

Edited by 98Z5V

13 minutes ago, dfrancis said:

Guess this isn't such a friendly community.

Thanks for looking at the bigger picture before arriving at that conclusion for the rest of us...

You had your answer at "call PSA", that's the best answer you could've been given, and it was given in the spirit and intent of helping you. PSA's lackluster performance in the large AR platform is well documented within this community, and we've helped a great many of their customers get their product to work as it should have at the outset, because we ARE a friendly community.

1 minute ago, dfrancis said:

This post was about a lost screw caused undoubtedly by my error and hand loads.

What exactly do your handloads have to do with the loss of the screw, that wouldn't be equally plausible with factory ammo?

Man I don't know for sure and first let me say THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND RESPONSE!  My first trip out (my range is about 30 minutes away and I have 2 kids so it's hard for me to get to the range more than once a week) I saw that the problem was that my cartridges were loaded too long for the magazine.  Minimum COAL for the recipe I'm using is 2.800 inches so I loaded them a bit longer to be on the safe side.  They were too long for the magazine so that no doubt was my issue wish FTFs.  I fired them one at a time and had no problems.  Today I went out with a friend who is new to shooting and was a little distracted helping him sight in his new AR.  I was still having problems feeding more than one at a time and was messing with the gas block setting but just thinking since I've never had it dialed in and working with my hand loads that it is still a variable that I haven't solved and may still be a problem.  Again - thank you so much for your kind response!

40 minutes ago, dfrancis said:

I'd also like to note that with factory Tula ammo the gun runs flawlessly and shoots sub 1.5 MOA groups.  Not bad for a sub 1K rifle.  This post was about a lost screw caused undoubtedly by my error and hand loads.

I doubt your hand loads had much to do with the missing screw.  It just unscrewed it's self... 

Well,  Let me take that back.  Reloading does make a fella shoot MORE..........;-)

Maybe maybe not.  I definitely moved it a couple of times trying to fix the problem and should've totally closed it the entire way and worked it up which is what I intend to do when I get it fixed.  That being said - the worksmanship and fit on the rifle as far as I can tell is top notch.  I have nothing but good things to say about PSA.

1 hour ago, dfrancis said:

Wow OK.  Thanks so much for your help.  I can tell you are more interested in trashing PSA then helping me out.  Guess this isn't such a friendly community.

You can go to Ace Hardware and get a set screw and fix your problem.  Your problem is much more than an adjustable gas block, though, with a missing set screw.

You need to look deeply at the gas system and recoil system on your gun- you can take that for what it's worth.

You can be all upset if you want, too - doesn't matter.  Your PSA gun was poorly designed, poorly executed, and you're seeing the results of that now - adjustable gas block or not.

Get deep into the PSA section here and search out the fixes.  They're talked about routinely, and the solve is pretty widespread already.  Leave your butthurt at the door.

"Helping you out" would have come before your purchase, had you asked.  You would have been advised to buy something else, that you don't have to fix, just to make it run.

Edited by 98Z5V