• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Guy

IT-Sniper

Hallo togheter,

My Name is Mike and i am from Germany.

I sold my G3 Clone a few months ago ( :-[  )because i reload and brass extracted from a G3 looks like poop. Reloading is a no go.

So i bought an Oberland Arms OA-10.

One the one hand, ar-15 systems in .308 are rather uncommon in Germany and i already owned a Sabre Dafence XR-15 in a similar configuration.

The OA-10 is furthermore in germany the only available gun that resembles the M110 SASS. I like the M110 so i choose the OA over the Remington R-25 or the H&K MR 308.

Hope to find good infos here on the AR-10 Platform and maybe some help when i run into any troubles with it.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

How about posting some pictures of your guns. I'm very interested in how the AR type offerings in other countries differ or resemble their US counterparts, and welcome. Hopefully you can share your knowlege of arms and firearms regulations in your country, with those of us in the US.

I like the looks of those OA-10 rifles. Simple design with some upgraded parts. Those krauts never cease to amaze me with their engineering.

I'm especially interested in their AR10 format polymer magazines. They look very much like a Magpul LR-20, with a window... Yet they state repeatedly that they have no links to Magpul and are completely independent. Here they are.

Here's the reason for the G-Mag, in the first place (It is because of the ITAR):

Reason for creating/producing the G-Mag overhere is that the P-Mag falls under the ???? (can't recall the proper name) legislation preventing US manufacturers from exporting specific firearms parts.

Atleast, that's the story I've been told. Ergo in order to circumvent this exportban they teamed up with some Germans and started producing the G-Mag overhere in Euroland.

A fact maybe not known to many of the US members is that overhere in Europe (and definitely in Germany) there's a HUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE market for anything AR-15 related since the lifting of the German ban on said type of firearms.

That's also the reason why Sabre Defence and Oberland Arms have such a great success in selling their rifles. Well that and the fact that the above mentioned legislation prevents US AR manufacturers from exporting their rifles unless an individual buyer overhere wants to wade trough piles of red tape & wait for ages to import an AR-15 from the US.

Also, though some may show up on US shores, they're only made for sale in the EU, and aren't supposed to make it over here.  They're not competition for us here, against the P-Mag.  Not supposed to be, anyway, and for the most part, they won't be.  Not the intent.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

About some photos: I will take some photos soon. For now here is the link to the OA-10 section of the Oberland Arms homepage.

http://www.oberlandarms.de/index.php?category=Waffen&id=10&page=

Mine differs only that it has a black 26'' bull barrel.

About G-Mags:

Yes it is because of the ITAR Regulations. The G-Mags are something like a licence build of the P-Mag. They have a good look and feel and are reliable. I got three of 'em and they all work fine.

About AR market:

AR style guns become more and more popular among german shooters. Some older guys don't like because they look to black-ops or miliatry to them and don't try to go hunting in Germany with an AR  :o Our hunters think AR Semi Autos are a source of pure evil  8)

But more and more competition shooters buy ARs because they are accurate and you do a lot of tuning.

Unfortunately it is difficult and (sometimes expensive) to get parts. I needed about 4 months to find dealer who sells the Magpul PRS for my OA-10. The UBR for AR-10 is impossible to get in Germany. Triggers are also a pain to get.

I think the german market is was to small to be of real interest to US supliers and therefore often parts only come in small quantities and often with long waiting periods.

Then are your export regulations that make things even more worse.

Our green party wants to impose a ban on all semiautomatic firearms (or better on all firearms in general) that makes the german market even less atractive.

About our law on firearms:

Feel free to ask.

Cheers

Mike