• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reusing 8lb powder jugs for a different powder?

dpete

I have an empty 8lb powder jug and (hopefully) 4 one pound bottles of H322 coming in.  Would it cause any contamination of the H322 if I poured the 4 bottles into the used 8lb empty jug?  I has been sitting empty for at least a couple years.  Wash it out and let it thoroughly dry first?   Don't even think about it because of possible contamination?

I would obviously relabel the jug using a H322 label if I did use it.

I'd wash it out completely, let it dry, then spray the inside of it to DEATH with a can of brake cleaner - then let that dry.  After that, I'd hot-water the hell out of it, and let that dry, just to make sure.   Overkill is overkill - but powder contamination would SUCK to find out, when you pull the trigger...  

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd wash it out completely, let it dry, then spray the inside of it to DEATH with a can of brake cleaner - then let that dry.  After that, I'd hot-water the hell out of it, and let that dry, just to make sure.   Overkill is overkill - but powder contamination would SUCK to find out, when you pull the trigger...

Holy moly, do you do that when changing powders in your powder measures? :lmao:

I'm of the other camp, just dump the stuff in there and don't worry about it. It's all nitro based powder with basically the same ingredients, which are just tweaked to modify the burn rates. Like Albroswift pointed out, we do pretty much the same thing when we change powders in our powder measures.

Whatever you decide to do, make damn sure you relabel that jug!:thumbup:

15 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Holy moly, do you do that when changing powders in your powder measures? :lmao:

No, but I make sure it's empty, give it a couple shots with the compressed air, and then wipe the insides with a dryer sheet - kills static electricity instantly.  I cross alot of pistol and rifle powders (fast and slow) through the same powder drop.

I'd hate to have 1/2 a grain of TiteGroup left in there when I start dropping 5.56 loads.  I'd find out fast enough, though, when I pulled that trigger.  That one's gonna be a SCREAMER!!!...     :box1::laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

No, but I make sure it's empty,

I kinda thought you might be exaggerating just a bit, but I wasn't sure because you left out the media blaster step between the brake cleaner (Non chlorinated of course) and the hot soapy water.  

On 4/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, 392heminut said:

Whatever you decide to do, make damn sure you relabel that jug!:thumbup:

The empty jug has no label on it and any of the H322 labels off the 1lb bottles easily peel off and restick.  There is no way in hell it would go unlabelled.  :thumbup: