• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LMT MWS assembly

What folks don't seem to get is as long as the proper amount of gas gets to the bcg and you have the recoil system to handle the mass moving it DOESN'T MATTER how long your barrel and gas system is. It's all about balancing the amount of reciprocating weight. Dwell time does factor in to the equation. As long as the bullet stays in the barrel long enough for the proper amount of gas to move the bcg there is not a dwell time problem.

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

What folks don't seem to get is as long as the proper amount of gas gets to the bcg and you have the recoil system to handle the mass moving it DOESN'T MATTER how long your barrel and gas system is. It's all about balancing the amount of reciprocating weight. Dwell time does factor in to the equation. As long as the bullet stays in the barrel long enough for the proper amount of gas to move the bcg there is not a dwell time problem.

Amen.  Thus endeth the sermon.  :hail:

On 5/2/2021 at 11:06 PM, shooterrex said:

I was thinking the duration of time the gas affects the round as it goes down the barrel would matter, but a longer barrel with equal gas length as a shorter barrel shows lower average pressure just prior the the egress of the round.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:38 PM, shooterrex said:

This will work for a recoil system. Call them they usually can find the parts.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT01

AR10REKIT01 finally arrived. Standard carbine-length buffer tube. Standard-length H3 buffer. Is the magic all in the spring?

AR10REKIT01_buf_tube_kit.jpg

AR10REKIT01_buf_tube_kit2.jpg

Edited by DispositionMatrix
Added another image.

5 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

You will find the buffer tube is a bit longer than the AR-15 carbine stock tube. Buffer is also a bit longer.

This is Stoners' design and it works if your gas port is right.

Thanks. I will take comparison measurements of the various tubes and buffers I have.

Regarding gas ports, given no Ballistic Advantage, Criterion, Fulton Armory, etc. barrels have been available to send out for modification, LMT's LM308B218S or LM308B220 might end up being in stock first, eliminating the guesswork on ports.

7 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Why guess? Stick a tape measure inside it and get the exact measurement.

Buffer tube depth: 7.625"

On 5/12/2021 at 4:58 PM, shooterrex said:

You will find the buffer tube is a bit longer than the AR-15 carbine stock tube. Buffer is also a bit longer.

This is Stoners' design and it works if your gas port is right.

Buffer (H3) length: 3.250"

It is not any longer than any of my AR15 buffers.

I have a couple of short "CAR-10 308" heavy buffers that are the shorter design.

10 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I'm sorry I meant it is longer than most "308 carbine" buffers. Hard to get the proper weight without using a stainless buffer body on the short ones.

I have a short one from Brownell's stamped "Heavybuffers.com" for which the following copy was posted:

• Allows for installation of standard ar15 carbine stock on .308 ARs
  • AR-15 buffers are too long and restrict bolt movement on .308 ARs with AR-15 stocks
  • Simple drop-in installation
  • Modified AR-10 buffer spring is recommended for maximum reliability
  • Reduces felt recoil
  • Compatible with .308 ARs ranging from: Armalite, DPMS, Remington, Knight's, LMT, Larue, POF, Mega, Fulton, And CMMG
  • 5.5 ounces
  • 303 stainless steel w/ a tungsten anti-bounce counterweight
Edited by DispositionMatrix

On 5/13/2021 at 8:40 AM, DispositionMatrix said:

I read that one a while back. Thanks.

Yeah, no worries. 

15 hours ago, DispositionMatrix said:

I have a short one from Brownell's stamped "Heavybuffers.com" for which the following copy was posted:

• Allows for installation of standard ar15 carbine stock on .308 ARs
  • AR-15 buffers are too long and restrict bolt movement on .308 ARs with AR-15 stocks
  • Simple drop-in installation
  • Modified AR-10 buffer spring is recommended for maximum reliability
  • Reduces felt recoil
  • Compatible with .308 ARs ranging from: Armalite, DPMS, Remington, Knight's, LMT, Larue, POF, Mega, Fulton, And CMMG
  • 5.5 ounces
  • 303 stainless steel w/ a tungsten anti-bounce counterweight

If you read and absorbed what I posted, you'd understand the information that you just posted. 

Good luck with your LMT MWS build.  :thumbup: 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 10 months later...