• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mixed Brass Consistancy of Shots

Hey SharpShooters,

I shot yesterday and kind of noticed with a few groups that my Factory pmc 148 gr FMJ shot a little better than my reloads, which were 150 gr Hornady FMJ BT on top of 42.5 gr imr 4895.  It isn’t the first time I’ve noticed poor groups with my reloads, and this time it seemed the pmc was much better.  I’m the one that carefully attempted exact powder charges for this batch of reloads, but the cases varied from about 5 different manufactures... All once fired.

after yesterday’s shooting, it dawned on me and I looked over at the spent rounds; all different cases.  Does anybody think that the pressures differences due to minute internal case size differences could open up a group, even if using the same powder charges?  I’m guessing the answers is Yes?

Yes, but more importantly...what are the stats of the rifle you were getting “not poor” groups from your reload with?  I thought we went over the bullet weight issue in another thread, but maybe that was someone else. If you’re the one with a 1:10 barrel, you aren’t likely to get good groups with lighter bullets. 

Yep, I understand and eventually will be either buying or reloading some heavier rounds.. I just noticed the difference between the factory and the mix and Match brass groups...I’m not as worried before about bad Barrel or screwed up scope, I can wait till I stumble across or work up to a good shooting weight and charge.  I also will be sorting my reloads all into “Like” batches now. Thanks for response, DNP

Here is a picture of some groups, The reloads were the obvious huge group.  Not sure what I used on the lowest left corner group, I think PMC.  So One bad 5 shot group with the reloads compared to the other better ones.  30 yards.

C295DB75-3000-4561-A9B5-A48081E3B0B0.jpeg

9 hours ago, DNP said:

Yes, but more importantly...what are the stats of the rifle you were getting “not poor” groups from your reload with?  I thought we went over the bullet weight issue in another thread, but maybe that was someone else. If you’re the one with a 1:10 barrel, you aren’t likely to get good groups with lighter bullets. 

I was going for 5 shot groups... but I found a clay pigeon and hung it up on the right top corner of the plywood... I wanted to see if I could hit that sucker at 30 yards off hand.  I drilled it center!  Despite the fact I was swaying like an oak tree.  I then put a third of the broken pigeon a little higher up and to the left.... I definitely was shaking more( gun is so front heavy and I had no sling on for choking things up) and by the grace of God I drilled that remainder and obliterated it.  The true challenge will be getting good at those kind of shots, not just lucking out like I did. 

30 minutes ago, DNP said:

So, was the barrel that shot your reloads well a different twist rate?  That was the question I had. 

No, my barrel is a 1/10 twist..... When I first started shooting this gun, with cheap open sights, I thought I detected better shooting from my reloads, but not much.  Shooting at 100 yards with opens sight three shot groups is hard to see true data.

Who knows, maybe some of those earlier groups of reloads were randomly of the same brass casings.  

I switched then to the 4x Weaver scope.  Then I did not see much improvement At All at 100 yards and this is what disappointed me.  I see improvement at 30 yards scope vs open signts, but now I’m seeing crappy 30 Yard scope groups with that mixed batch of reloads.  Different cases once fired..( all 5 were of different headstamp). The pmc seemed much better.  So.... I’m listening to Matt Cross or whoever said it, 5 to 10 shot groups is better.  I will try Heavier bullets for twist of 1:10( you and others have said it) in the future.  My next scope will be of unimpeachable quality( All Hail President Trump) and my shooting practices need to be upgraded to the next level... Lead sled maybe if I can’t get more rock solid... for getting this gun tuned.

all shots made by me on this post and others were from the Faxon heavy fluted 1:10 rifle length gas.  I didn’t break in this barrel worth a damn, and I just saw a YouTube of someone pushing the rod through from the chamber and then taking the brushes off before pulling it back through.  Screw That!  I hope that doesn’t mean my Barrel will die soon.

Edited by DustBuster

At 30 yards I'd expect groups coming in well under a dime even if the ammo wasn't that great.  Heavier bullets for sure and I'd work something up to just about one-hole them at 30 yards before moving on to longer distances.......